You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constrain art text when resizing from middle bounding box handles

Resizing art text from the corner bounding box handles maintains the proper aspect ratio. Resizing art text from the middle of the bounding box scales only the height, making it appear squished. The shift key has to be pressed to keep the aspect ratio when scaling from the middle.

This leads me to my question:

By default, why doesn't scaling text from the middle of the bounding box preserve the aspect ratio like the corners? For consistency, I think both the middle and corner bounding box handles should have the same behavior…right? Or no? 

I think no

It's handy to have the option for constrained resizing (use the edges) or not constrained resizing (grad the middle ones)

And if you fail and grab the wrong one and notice it while dragging you can still press the shift key and the behaviour will update/ switch without the need of doing the resize operation again - you don't have to re-drag the handle, I hope you know what I mean ;)

Very easy and practical IMO

• Staff

Hi noob,

The behaviour of the Move Tool when scaling objects can be changed. By default (Automatic) it keeps the proportions of objects that have an intrinsic aspect ratio (like images or text frames), but you can set it to just keep the the ratio when pressing ⇧ (shift) (or not) no matter the type of object selected. You can access this setting from the menu Affinity Designer/Photo ▸ Preferences..., Tools section, Move Tool Aspect Constrain dropdown.

@MEB

I changed the Move Tool Aspect Constrain setting to Constrain by Default. However, this only applies to resizing from the corners. When resizing from the middle, objects and text do not keep proportions. Why don't they have the same behavior? Seems odd that you can resize from the corner and keep proportions, but must hold Shift when resizing from the middle.

How the setting should work:

Constrain by Default

Maintains proportions when resizing from the corners OR the middle of bounding box

Do Not Constrain by Default

Maintains proportions when resizing from the corners or the middle of bounding box ONLY when Shift is pressed. Otherwise, resizing from the corners or middle will scale the width or height independent of each other.

Any thoughts?

True that @MBd.

Also, just noticed that when the Constrain by Default is enabled, the Shift key is still required to maintain proportions when resizing Frame Text from the bottom-right corner node. But, when Do Not Constrain by Default is enabled, the Frame Text scales proportionally when resizing from the same node. Seems like the behavior is reversed.