You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editable object styles

Notice that we actually have the same problem with colors and brushes.

Objects have a value/values properties instead of being linked to swatches or brushes. It's a one way of doing things: we can only apply them. No way to know which one was used, etc. The apps have some internal pipette applying those properties to next object, that's all.

Another futur problem: scripting. Without any clear and net object model, with properties ordered in objects and styles, to easily access and modify them, scripting will be very difficult.

Once, I had to apply paragraph styles to a 1500 pages book. The authors did their best, but didn't know about paragraph and character styles. But they did it "seriously", and used pipette on each paragraph (but one title, I can remember this one I missed formatting with the right style).

In the end, it was possible to apply real paragraph styles once the necessary script able to find paragraph with specific properties was written... and able to search fractional values instead of the truncated ones visible in the app's contextual bar.
Scripting Affinity apps will be this difficult if properties aren't ordered in a logical way  with styles and parent-children links.

If some sort of object method was used, it would be possible for the app to memorize the x last search-and-find requests, by document or by sesion, and reuse them later. Saving them with a proper name would just be adding a button in the UI and some file in the user's HD.

• 4 months later...

100% with you @Wosven

I would love to see this function implemented into designer. It would make life much easier and vastly improve workflow!
Very nice diagram and explanation 🙂 thank you

A related problem I have is that once you apply a style to an object there's no way of knowing what style is being used?
In Ai the style always highlights when an object is selected.

Surprised there's not more requests for this feature.

Yes, real object/brush (vector)/text frame styles would be better in general use.

And logical for the days the apps will be able to export to SVG with CSS, or HTML.

It would also simplify modifying objects in APub projects, since for now the selection by similar type/stroke/fill can only search at best in an page (APub) or in an spread if using AD.

• 3 months later...