You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greeting!

Recently I've been facing a weird issue with Affinity Photo. Crashes. Crashes out of nowhere.

Since 2 days ago. Affinity photo crashes left and right and basically in any situation and if I manage to get passed the splash screen, it crashes shortly after.

I have the virsion from Microsoft Store since that's the only place I can actually buy from. I reinstalled that and did 

And reset everything. NOTHING. Absulotly nothing. 

The program crashes pretty fast. Even before I can make a single move. File type doesn't matter either apearently. cause .afphoto , .png , .tif , .tiff all crash this program.

Nothing has changed from the days it worked. I'm still running Windows 10 pro. I am on the same virsion as before but now it just crashes.

Any solutions?

Edited by YAR Oracool
Forgot to ask for solutions.

• Staff

Hi @YAR Oracool,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Our latest update implemented OpenCL Hardware Acceleration to Windows, which utilises your Graphics Card to help render the Affinity document.
A few users are experiencing issues with this enabled, the number one cause of which is outdated Graphics Card drivers. Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available -

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html 
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-driver-autodetect

Note: you may need to go direct to your PC manufactures website for the driver, if you see a warning regarding 'OEM drivers' when trying to install one from the above sites.

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app again.
Does this resolve the crashing for you? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @YAR Oracool,

Our latest update implemented OpenCL Hardware Acceleration to Windows, which utilises your Graphics Card to help render the Affinity document.
A few users are experiencing issues with this enabled, the number one cause of which is outdated Graphics Card drivers. Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available -

Note: you may need to go direct to your PC manufactures website for the driver, if you see a warning regarding 'OEM drivers' when trying to install one from the above sites.

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app again.

I mean, I will update my drivers but the thing is that I am running the latest update on both of my devices and on Affinity Publisher and Affinity Designer too and photo worked fine until like 3 days ago and only Affinity photo on my laptop has this issue while my PC's driver hadn't been updated for the past year.

17 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @YAR Oracool,

I tried updating my GPU driver and.... nothing... absolutly nothing happened. I even made sure it was using the GPU but yeah. Crashes still happen.

• Staff
6 hours ago, YAR Oracool said:

I tried updating my GPU driver and.... nothing... absolutly nothing happened. I even made sure it was using the GPU but yeah. Crashes still happen.

Thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear this!

Can you please open Affinity Photo, then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance, in the dialog that opens please untick Hardware Acceleration, then restart the app as prompted and try opening your document/image once again.

Does this stop the app from crashing for you please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear this!

Can you please open Affinity Photo, then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance, in the dialog that opens please untick Hardware Acceleration, then restart the app as prompted and try opening your document/image once again.

Does this stop the app from crashing for you please? :)

Nothing. Also it can't be that, because if it was that the case these questions would arise:

1. Why did it work just fine until 4 days ago when no new updates have came out?

2. Why are Affinity Publisher and Affinity Designer are uneffected?

3. Why would a GTX 1050 4GB be unable to use this?

Like i did disable the thing, but it didn't work.

Edited by YAR Oracool
Typo. Also why can I report my own post here?

4 minutes ago, ashf said:

Resetting Affinity to the default setting(ctrl start) might fix the problem.
if it's caused by broken configuration file.

Try to remove the actual files also

Check

In my first post I said I already did the reset factory thing, I also mentioned a second detail which was that I got it from Microsoft store. And since Microsoft store is ... let's say awful, it does NOT grant me access to my files so I can't actually see the Affinity Photo files unlike Affinity Publisher and Affinity Designer.

7 minutes ago, ashf said:

Try 1.9.4 beta also see if it works.

That is all fine and dandy but I would like to know why the program just broke on my randomly when I didn't change anything

Like this virsion was working just fine.

Also I literally can't use this, because My Affinity Photo is from Microsoft store.

1 minute ago, YAR Oracool said:

That is all fine and dandy but I would like to know why the program just broke on my randomly when I didn't change anything

I never had such situation before.
Not sure if it's specific to your environment.

1 minute ago, ashf said:

I never had such situation before.
Not sure if it's specific to your environment.

Nither did I. one day it was working just fine, The next day I woke up and it was broken. And only Affinity Photo on my laptop. Everything else worked good

@YAR Oracool

I literally can't use this, because My Affinity Photo is from Microsoft store

Actually you can!  If you're prepared to install this free utility it will give you (temporary) access to the Windows Apps folder within C:\Program Files, so you can make those checks, I think.  Having given yourself access, simply running the utility again will allow you to reverse the permission changes.  (Before posting this I ran the utility to test that this would work.  I already had it installed, for precisely this kind of situation.)

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

19 hours ago, YAR Oracool said:

Also I literally can't use this, because My Affinity Photo is from Microsoft store.

That does not stop you from using the beta version of the application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 5/21/2021 at 9:22 PM, YAR Oracool said:

i did disable the thing (Hardware Acceleration), but it didn't work

On 5/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, YAR Oracool said:

I already did the reset factory thing

Thanks for letting us know and I'm sorry to hear neither of these options helped!

On 5/22/2021 at 10:46 AM, YAR Oracool said:

I have a very crazy theory about this and it has nothing to do with Affinity programs themselves but I need time to test it. I'll tell you the results when I tried it

On 5/22/2021 at 5:42 PM, YAR Oracool said:

Yeah... You're right... I missed half of the line about what you need for the beta.

Please do keep us updated with your theory and the beta version, should this work as expected :)

On 5/21/2021 at 9:46 PM, YAR Oracool said:

It's certainly strange behaviour you're seeing, it may be due to Affinity Photo being Microsoft Store version, but that still doesn't explain why the app is crashing.

I'd like to request a copy of your crash reports, if these have not already been deleted.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%/Affinity/Photo/1.0/CrashReports/reports

%AppData%/Affinity/Photo/1.0 (Store)/CrashReports/reports

In the window that opens, please select the 3 most recently created .dmp files, then upload these to your reply here.

If you do not have any reports here, please open the app and wait for it to crash, then hopefully you should find a report is generated here.
Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for letting us know and I'm sorry to hear neither of these options helped!

Please do keep us updated with your theory and the beta version, should this work as expected :)

It's certainly strange behaviour you're seeing, it may be due to Affinity Photo being Microsoft Store version, but that still doesn't explain why the app is crashing.

I'd like to request a copy of your crash reports, if these have not already been deleted.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 3 most recently created .dmp files, then upload these to your reply here.

If you do not have any reports here, please open the app and wait for it to crash, then hopefully you should find a report is generated here.
Many thanks in advance!

Sadly my theory failed as expected but the beta works fine and the OpenCL is active in it and I didn't tell it to use the GPU instead of the iGPU but I guess windows power managment just asaignes the GPU to it.

Which makes me think that something must have happened to my Microsoft Store instalation of Affinity Photo cause as I said, it was working before I made this thread. Also as a side not, the adress you gave me is for Affinity's website virsion of Affinity Photo. For Microsoft store it's: C:\Users\aryae\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

At least I don't have any folder named just "1.0". 

And even on a more disappointing note.... there are no Crash reports... Like Affinity Error handler thingy is running when the program is active in taskmanager but when it crashes and I look at the crash folder it's empty. Hidden items are also checked so it's not hidden either. I checked every folder in Crash Reports and even the ones for the Beta. They are all empty.

• Staff
1 hour ago, YAR Oracool said:

Sadly my theory failed as expected but the beta works fine and the OpenCL is active in it and I didn't tell it to use the GPU instead of the iGPU but I guess windows power managment just asaignes the GPU to it.

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear your theory didn't pan out - though it's good to hear the beta is working as expected!

Also as a side not, the adress you gave me is for Affinity's website virsion of Affinity Photo. For Microsoft store it's: C:\Users\aryae\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

Apologies that's my mistake, the address provided was for the non Microsoft Store version so I've updated the post above now, should any users visit this thread in the future.

And even on a more disappointing note.... there are no Crash reports... Like Affinity Error handler thingy is running when the program is active in taskmanager but when it crashes and I look at the crash folder it's empty. Hidden items are also checked so it's not hidden either. I checked every folder in Crash Reports and even the ones for the Beta. They are all empty.

Many thanks for checking these folders and I'm sorry to hear the app isn't generating crash reports. We're going to need to locate a different file, as well as a copy of your event viewer log to see if there's more information available here.

Firstly please navigate to the below location once again through the Run dialog -

%AppData%/Affinity/Photo/1.0 (Store)/

In this folder you should find log.txt, can you please attach this here for me?

Secondly, to generate an event viewer log, can you please:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
  2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
  3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As ... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
  4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

20 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear your theory didn't pan out - though it's good to hear the beta is working as expected!

Apologies that's my mistake, the address provided was for the non Microsoft Store version so I've updated the post above now, should any users visit this thread in the future.

Many thanks for checking these folders and I'm sorry to hear the app isn't generating crash reports. We're going to need to locate a different file, as well as a copy of your event viewer log to see if there's more information available here.

Firstly please navigate to the below location once again through the Run dialog -

%AppData%/Affinity/Photo/1.0 (Store)/

In this folder you should find log.txt, can you please attach this here for me?

Secondly, to generate an event viewer log, can you please:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
  2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
  3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As ... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
  4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

Log.txt Done!

What is going on my laptop.evtx

On 5/21/2021 at 10:51 PM, YAR Oracool said:

Nither did I. one day it was working just fine, The next day I woke up and it was broken. And only Affinity Photo on my laptop. Everything else worked good

Hi everyone, I want to report I'm in exactly the same situation of YAR Oracool. During the last 4 days Affinity Photos is broken. 

1 hour ago, Max Sparta said:

Hi everyone, I want to report I'm in exactly the same situation of YAR Oracool. During the last 4 days Affinity Photos is broken. 

Welcome aboard. hope you enjoy your stay 😂. They have my system events and stuff so I guess they are trying to fix things.

• Staff

Hi @Max Sparta,

Welcome to the forums :)

2 hours ago, Max Sparta said:

Can you please try the steps suggested in this thread, each time re-launching the Affinity app and seeing if it crashes/hangs, in the following order:

Please do let us know how you get on here!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
2 hours ago, YAR Oracool said:

They have my system events and stuff so I guess they are trying to fix things.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm currently awaiting a response from your files provided and I'll be sure to update you here shortly :)

Please note -

Many thanks!