You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why are the fonts all over the GUI so small?

Hello Serif Team,

It's really a very promising App, you created and I wish you success for your hard work. So far I would like to use your app, even if I still have to wait for a German localization, but I have to admit, that even with my glasses it's very hard to read the texts in your GUI and sometimes the boxes, you have to use for adjustments, Often they are big enough, but all texts and sometimes the controls are nevertheless unnecessarily small. And this very arduous, in particular, if you want to explore all the possibilities and create new workflows with this App.

I'd like a GUI, where you not only can adjust the size of the tool UI, but also of the fontsize used throughout the GUI of the app, especially if you use a 27" monitor or iMac.

;)

• Staff

How do you find the rest of OSX and other Pro Apple applications as we try and use the standard OSX font and sizes. If we have messed up and haven't use the same sizes as the rest of OSX/Pro Apple apps then just post a screen shot and we will sort it.

I also bought Affinity this morning. Looks quite inspiring, BUT:

The GUI text (and icons) are way to small!  (Talking about a 27" iMac.)

My eyesight is not perfect, but rather ok. Using the affinity GUI is a pain I never, never met before in any other application!

For me, the application in this form simply is not usable, and I wonder, what people with real eyesight handicap would say …

To compare I attach a GUI screenshot of Final cut Pro/Affinity.

post-1030-0-58124400-1412333674_thumb.png

• Staff

The Tool UI size options only apply to the tool UI that you see on the document when you're using the tools - select an object so you can see its resize handles and then try changing the options - the handles will change bigger/smaller to quite a large degree... :)

I'm testing with Yosemite GM1 and in Finder you can increase the font size, I only know one Pro Apple App Aperture and here I think you have a better readability, because font is black and GUI is grey, so it seems to me a little bit bigger. I also knew Adobe Cloud and here it's just the same, depending on the app, the more often you have to use a lot of controls and preferences for your work the more tiresome it is to work with it.

So I totally agree with mac_heibu and his attached screenshots! 

How do you find the rest of OSX and other Pro Apple applications as we try and use the standard OSX font and sizes. If we have messed up and haven't use the same sizes as the rest of OSX/Pro Apple apps then just post a screen shot and we will sort it.

post-986-0-25931500-1412349181_thumb.pngpost-986-0-50621800-1412349182_thumb.png

The Tool UI size options only apply to the tool UI that you see on the document when you're using the tools - select an object so you can see its resize handles and then try changing the options - the handles will change bigger/smaller to quite a large degree... :)

Thanks! :) I thought i was the icon size :) (what would be a good idea :D ...and the panels size)

Just to say I have started wearing glasses for reading, this year and size DOES matter, I know that I sound old (44 this Sunday), so having coloured icons is pure class.

Size adjustable icons are the way to go. It exists in other apps and we're all getting old! Well, I am.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I was having similar issues when migrating to the 27inch screen, I just changed my monitors resolution and everything got bumped up.  ;) I was finding illustrators UI too small as well, a little visit to your system preferences works great at least until the team at Affinity allow UI sizing preferences.

I was having similar issues when migrating to the 27inch screen, I just changed my monitors resolution and everything got bumped up.  ;) I was finding illustrators UI too small as well, a little visit to your system preferences works great at least until the team at Affinity allow UI sizing preferences.

Let's wait for the iMac Retina ..... (Probably on this mont) .... I can't imagine how small would those interfaces be :D

• 2 months later...

Please, please, please can you offer an option to increase the size of UI elements? It's not a matter of measuring yourself against other apps' UIs, there is the option for Affinity to be the market leader. You obviously recognise that there is a need for different sizes for the 'Tool UI' so why not for the UI itself? iOS is now leading the field with scalable fonts at a system level so you would be ahead of the pack as it is inevitable that at some stage this will come to the Mac. If I'm using a laptop it makes no difference as I'm sitting maybe 12-14 inches from the screen, but with my 5k iMac I sit about 20-24 inches away from it and this makes a big difference.

• 7 months later...