You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can not enable OpenCL on Windows 10 Pro

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Your problem is with the graphics card. Please see the pinned topic at the top of this forum:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, rewddd said:

Could you stop lieing?  More than a year you did not want to fix it and a miracle happened, in the new version (v2) it works.

I did not tell any lies. And I certainly never said I did not want to fix it. I pointed to the statement from Serif that they had made a restriction due to an AMD problem (And in any case, I'm a customer, and what I want to do doesn't matter).

Version 1 had its requirements, and restrictions, and I pointed to Serif's statement of the restrictions.

True, it is working now in Version 2, but that does not make my earlier statement a lie. It merely means that things change:

1. AMD has shipped new drivers with better performance.
  2. Version 2 has been developed, and allows those AMD cards now
  3. The restriction is still in place in Version 1.

I do not know if Serif developed additional code in V2, or if they simply listened to the users who asked them to let them enable it, and decide for themselves if it worked well enough.

But there were no lies from me, nor from Serif as far as I know.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I did not tell any lies. And I certainly never said I did not want to fix it. I pointed to the statement from Serif that they had made a restriction due to an AMD problem (And in any case, I'm a customer, and what I want to do doesn't matter).

Version 1 had its requirements, and restrictions, and I pointed to Serif's statement of the restrictions.

True, it is working now in Version 2, but that does not make my earlier statement a lie. It merely means that things change:

1. AMD has shipped new drivers with better performance.
  2. Version 2 has been developed, and allows those AMD cards now
  3. The restriction is still in place in Version 1.

I do not know if Serif developed additional code in V2, or if they simply listened to the users who asked them to let them enable it, and decide for themselves if it worked well enough.

But there were no lies from me, nor from Serif as far as I know.

If it works in a new wersion then sentence "that is AMDproblem" is a lie, we can see that in a new version it is working correctly and we have no update for years! Now we have to pay full price to update to v2, it's a scandal. I feel robbed. 

11 minutes ago, rewddd said:

If it works in a new wersion then sentence "that is AMDproblem" is a lie,

No, it is not.

AMD had a problem, as documented by Serif). Serif therefore disabled OpenCL for those AMD GPUs in V1.

Therefore, at that time, it was an AMD problem.

AMD has shipped fixes. Serif has shipped V2. It now works in V2. We can guess that Serif has now enabled it, possibly because AMD fixed their problem. Or possibly for other reasons.

But for V1, it was an AMD problem. And a year ago I was talking about V1.

-- Walt
PC:

Even if it's possible to turn it on in V2, it's not recommended yet.
Users reported that it has very slow performance and not usable.
Read recent posts in the topic Walt linked.

Also what Walt said is right. in order to make OpenCL work, both the driver and Affinity need to be modified.
Actually Blender ditched OpenCL already because of AMD.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, it is not.

AMD had a problem, as documented by Serif). Serif therefore disabled OpenCL for those AMD GPUs in V1.

Therefore, at that time, it was an AMD problem.

AMD has shipped fixes. Serif has shipped V2. It now works in V2. We can guess that Serif has now enabled it, possibly because AMD fixed their problem. Or possibly for other reasons.

But for V1, it was an AMD problem. And a year ago I was talking about V1.

Yes it is, I bought defective product and serif give a f#ck about me. They fixed it in a new version and I have to pay full price for a new products (I have it all) and they can't don't want to fix it. 

Edited by rewddd