You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Huawei P30 Pro DNG colors problem

Hi, I have the 1.9.2.1035 Affinity Photo and trying to develop DNGs from supported Huawei P30 Pro. Unfortunately I can't set the proper White Balance, it looks too browny even when useing White Balance Tool showing gray area on the photo. Is there any solution to get the proper colors from this RAW files?

Edited by frytek
no question mark at the end

5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey frytek,

Welcome to the forums.

Without the DNG I would struggle to advise you. There are a few reports that some DNG's can look washed out from other devices but to give you any feedback we'd need to take a look at a sample. 

I looked at max total attachment size and it's 2GB no MB, my mistake :) The swimming suit on painting should be more like magenta than brown/orange, the wall is white, same as canvases on the right. I have the problem with DNG, the JPG from the same camera looks fine. I've tried today Photoshop Camera Raw and the file looks much better than in AP.

Problematic DNG:
IMG_20210519_100134.dng

JPG to compare:

IMG_20210519_100133.thumb.jpg.4397859d48357bbfffef870ccb06980f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey frytek,

Your issue appears to be the same as what we already have a log of and your post was added to the bug report when you replied but it appears I forgot to ackowledge this - apologies.

Hey Chris,

thank you for the information. So there is a chance that the bug will be removed with the next update?

• Staff

Well I believe this is a regression as DNG's never used to be as dull as this which means they generally take a higher priority over other bugs... but I still have no idea what the developers will and will not fix sadly. I have little to no inflience at all. They priopritise their own workflow so I honestly am not sure when this will be looked at.

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 1:30 AM, Chris B said:

I agreee. I have the same phone and it is phenomenal. I've done some of my own tests and can reproduce with my own photographs so I'd also like to see this resolved. 

unfortunately version 1.10 didn't solve the problem

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Problem is that Affinity expects an RGB Picture, but the Huawei P30 Pro shoots 40 MP RAWs in RYB (Red, Yellow, Blue) Mode. You must correct the Colour Profile, then the Picture will be fine. This should be fixed, because sadly a very old 16 MP DLSR Camera can´t compete with the Sensor of the Huawei IF you have a very good Lightning.

Hope this will be resolved. 

On 8/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, Garden-User said:

I think the Problem is that Affinity expects an RGB Picture, but the Huawei P30 Pro shoots 40 MP RAWs in RYB (Red, Yellow, Blue) Mode. You must correct the Colour Profile, then the Picture will be fine. This should be fixed, because sadly a very old 16 MP DLSR Camera can´t compete with the Sensor of the Huawei IF you have a very good Lightning.

Hope this will be resolved. 

Thanks. Do you know how the Colour Profile can be corrected?

14 minutes ago, frytek said:

Thanks. Do you know how the Colour Profile can be corrected?

Sadly only complete manually. Affinity Photo can Read the dng File fine, but it needs some fine tuning. The White Balance must be corrected and the Temperature should be corrected if the Lights are not true White. 

An don´t change the Slider just down below it: Tint (Tönung in German).  The Slider will only go to 50 % IF you change it by hand. The pre-defined 80 % are fine (but there should be an override to 100 % if wished).

For the Lens Correction: No you can´t use the P20 Pro because the Sensor is not compatible.
Other Corrections like Chromatic Aberration can be done.

Keep in Mind that the 40 MP raw File of the P30 Pro needs some work to look really good. Lightning is the Key (low ISO!). And shoot in "Pro Mode" if you have focus Problems and adjust it by hand. 

For us it works good. We had an old Canon EOS 500D, yes it is 12 Years old, and the P30 Pro has the Advantage of the 40 MP. Sure The Sensor on the Canon is Huge but 15.1 MP is still "only" a 4770 x 3178 px Picure compared to 7296 x 5472 px. The size does not matter but when you correct Details it does matter. We have seen that the Canon "blurs" more and even with turned down ISO the Picture gets some Grain Effect. The P30 Pro has the Color "Problem" that you can correct in the development.

Hope I could help you.