You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What do you get if you select one layer below the one shown in your screenshot -- the one labeled "(de)"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Put the text caret in-between the D and the E 

1870440265_ScreenShot2021-05-19at7_46_24AM.png.ace2af52cead168181c686001159db4f.png

I think you'll then see that there is a highlight in the Characters panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I've tried replicating this, to the extent of downloading the same font, but not been able to. Could you upload your afphoto file? Maybe there's something that is not showing in your screenshots, someone may find looking at the file.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I had a quick try... 

Added some text, which appeared with the unwanted background.

Chose the text layer and added a style. Didn't matter which -- the text's background disappeared!

Went to the effects tab and un-ticked everything which left only a fill color which could be changed to whatever I wanted.

No doubt there is a more direct way?

@CPC, yes applying a style gets rid of the background.

@Song Palmese, this is very bizarre. The font doesn't matter, I tried numerous, and they all had that background. I've went completely through your file, and not matter what I done, the font background remained. I checked all the blend modes, blend ranges, hiding the layers/groups, still no changing it.

This has me puzzled, and apparently above my knowledge.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

To get rid of the text block's background fill color use Edit > Defaults > Revert or if you have the Defaults buttons added to the toolbar, click on the Revert Defaults button.

My guess is the background color was added in an APub document via that app's Frame Text panel (or using the trick to get it in AP) & at some point in AP that color got synced to the text block.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R had the same guess as I did regarding Publisher. Add some text open the file in Publisher and check the text frame you'll see there is a background colour.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Add some text open the file in Publisher and check the text frame you'll see there is a background colour.

What is confusing about this is both frame text & artistic text can have a background fill color that is separate from the character background color (settable on a character by character basis using the Character panel), but normally only APub provides access to the Frame Text panel where the fill color can be set.

It is easier to see this in frame text but it applies to artistic text as well, even though you can't see any difference in the latter because both the fill & character background colors can cover the same area. It may be easier to see what I mean in this text fills & backgrounds.afphoto example created in APub but saved in AP.

The artistic text layer has both character & fill background colors applied but you can't see the fill color unless you set the character background color to none.

Affinity Photo 

22 hours ago, R C-R said:

To get rid of the text block's background fill color use Edit > Defaults > Revert or if you have the Defaults buttons added to the toolbar, click on the Revert Defaults button.

My guess is the background color was added in an APub document via that app's Frame Text panel (or using the trick to get it in AP) & at some point in AP that color got synced to the text block.

OMG, that fixed it. You're afreakingmazing, oh wow. Thank you SO MUCH. This is such a huge relief. OOF.❣️ 💕

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2021 at 4:52 AM, R C-R said:

Also saved me a bunch of time after having hunted around trying to find a way to clear all styles to no avail. Cheers.

Had the same issue in Affinity Designer. Selecting the text frame, either in the layers panel or by clicking on it with the move tool (black arrow) and using the above method fixed it.

Feedback at Serif, if you're reading: maybe add an obvious Clear Style option on the edit menu below Create Style. Like most people, I read menus from the top to the bottom. An enigmatic Defaults option sitting in the edit menu above create style is not a option one would instinctively take. After all, it might reset something I don't want resetting.

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 10:52 PM, R C-R said:

Thank you @R C-R! Was exactly what I needed.