You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple masks lead to alpha failure

Hi,

i just made a tutorial showing how to use multiple masks in additive way. Works great for regular masks.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/142430-non-destrcutive-workflow-using-masks-additive-revealing-from-both-masks-instead-of-hiding/

When i tried to extend this approach by adding a vector shape (used as mask), once again the handling of alpha channel gets confused in Photo. Symptoms will depend on OpenCL active / inactive.

To reproduce, open the file, select the vector shape "Double Star", and transform size and/or position.

OpenCL inactive:

• The shape will be embedded into a rectangular area of dynamic size, where the alpha channel is not calculated properly (becoming 0 instead of 1)

OpenCL active:

• When transforming the vector shape, it leaves an trail of alpha set to zero, partially recovering, partially staying zero.

Win 10, 1.9.2.1035 and beta 1.9.4.1065

Don't get distracted by the multiple adjustments (curves, channel mixer, levels) - i tried all as they are able to influence the alpha channel. You can activate any one of them, identical results.

additive mask with vector issue.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Why don't you post in the Beta forum? This is the production forum.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

6 hours ago, AiDon said:

Why don't you post in the Beta forum? This is the production forum.

Because it affects both stable and beta. This is only to prevent the next question "did you test the latest beta". I already did that extra test. As i did test both OpenCL on and off. To save time for all involved.

The beta forum clearly says to post only beta-related issues.

image.png.276ba8bec845f68e9670ae5269beb523.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I've reduced the issue to the essence:

• 1 vector shape or curves layer
  • 1 alpha-sensitive adjustment  layer (channel mixer, levels, curves) inverting the alpha channel

Now you get the same rectangular halos around the vector shape when zooming or transforming.

The color is an intentional side effect  just for fun to make live less grey. Just reset the RGB channels of the channel mixer to get rid of it.

curves inverse alpha issue.afphoto