You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

None of the programs start on Windows 10

Hello!

Just purchased all three programs, installed them, input the keys and agreed to the EULA but after the splash screen, they all just don't start.

That's al i get. A splash screen, then nothing.

I'm not sure what the problem is, i used the trial version before for the entire 90 days (thank you for that btw!), and never had any issues.

Now that i actually bought them, i can't start any of them. It doesn't even look like it's crashing, just won't start.

I'm not sure what the problem is, the trial version worked great.

The version is the latest 1.9.2 i think, bought today, so whichever is the current one.

Please help!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Vepar. :)

1 hour ago, Vepar said:

I'm not sure what the problem is, the trial version worked great.

I wonder whether this is the problem:

1 hour ago, Vepar said:

Just purchased all three programs, installed them, input the keys and agreed to the EULA

Instead of performing fresh installs you should have been able to simply input the product keys when launching the trial versions (as an alternative to choosing the ‘Continue trial’ option). Did you reset your PC during the uninstallation/reinstallation procedure?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Vepar. :)

I wonder whether this is the problem:

Instead of performing fresh installs you should have been able to simply input the product keys when launching the trial versions (as an alternative to choosing the ‘Continue trial’ option). Did you reset your PC during the uninstallation/reinstallation procedure?

I used the trial long before, it already expired months ago before i bought them so i couldn't have used the trial versions. I also did a clean Windows 10 install in the meantime so keeping the trial versions didn't make sense at the time.

All the installations finished perfectly and the first time start of each program performed well (i did not restart between installing and running the program). The dialogue windows about licence popped up, i entered all my keys and email in, then after that nothing.

I'm very confused...

Also... I tried uninstalling then reinstalling Designer, still won't start. This time it didn't even ask me licence info.

Here's additional info about my system:

Windows 10 Home

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t 3.2GHz

8 GB DDR3

AMD R7260x 1GB

Samsung EVO SSD

Dual 32" 2056x1440 monitors

Edited by Vepar
Added spec info.

56 minutes ago, Vepar said:

All the installations finished perfectly and the first time start of each program performed well (i did not restart between installing and running the program). The dialogue windows about licence popped up, i entered all my keys and email in, then after that nothing.

I'm very confused...

I’m confused too!

Try clearing your user data for each of the apps. Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard and keep it held down while you launch the app: a ‘Clear User Data’ dialog will pop up, and if you press ‘Select All’ followed by ‘Clear’ you’ll restore the installation defaults.

Alfred spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m confused too!

Try clearing your user data for each of the apps. Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard and keep it held down while you launch the app: a ‘Clear User Data’ dialog will pop up, and if you press ‘Select All’ followed by ‘Clear’ you’ll restore the installation defaults.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it but unfortunately it didn't work.

First i cleared only the user data, then tried running normally after that.

Then i did a "select all", and also tried running normally after that.

Still won't start.

I also maybe thought, i have Wallpaper engine installed for some fancy desktop, maybe it's interferring with GPU acceleration or whatever so i disabled it, went back to standard wallpapers. But no go, doesn't seem to have an effect, the app won't start that way either (and to be fair, wallpaper engine shouldn't have enough power to interfere with anything but i'm desperate so i treid it).

6 minutes ago, Vepar said:

I also maybe thought, i have Wallpaper engine installed for some fancy desktop, maybe it's interferring with GPU acceleration or whatever so i disabled it, went back to standard wallpapers. But no go, doesn't seem to have an effect, the app won't start that way either (and to be fair, wallpaper engine shouldn't have enough power to interfere with anything but i'm desperate so i treid it).

I’m glad you mentioned that. I hadn’t thought about hardware acceleration: try disabling it.

Alfred spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m glad you mentioned that. I hadn’t thought about hardware acceleration: try disabling it.

Well is there a way to disable it outside of the program? Cause i can't even start it, let alone disable hardware acceleration in its settings...

BTW, i updated GPU drivers, nothing changed...

@Vepar

Further to what @Alfred says, exactly which AMD Radeon driver are you running?  The Radeon Adrenaline driver version 21.4.1 produced exactly the same problem for me.  Reverting to 21.3.1 resolved the problem.  (I see there is now version 21.5.1 but I have not installed that so don't know if AMD have found the problem. I know Serif were in contact with them.)

Since you can't actually launch the apps in order to disable Hardware Acceleration this FAQ will show you how to disable it when the apps are closed.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Just now, emmrecs01 said:

@Vepar

Further to what @Alfred says, exactly which AMD Radeon driver are you running?  The Radeon Adrenaline driver version 21.4.1 produced exactly the same problem for me.  Reverting to 21.3.1 resolved the problem.  (I see there is now version 21.5.1 but I have not installed that so don't know if AMD have found the problem. I know Serif were in contact with them.)

Since you can't actually launch the apps in order to disable Hardware Acceleration this FAQ will show you how to disable it when the apps are closed.

HTH

Jeff

I'm using the 21.5.2 driver, was using 21.4.1 like a minute ago (updated just now).

Also, thank you for the link, i'll try also disabling hardware acceleration and report back.

Hmm, ok, i went to the %appdata% folder for the Affinity programs. The %AppData%\<APPNAME>\1.0\Settings\  folder is empty. There's no file in there to edit...

Edit this in to not spam:

I went to the crash folder. This is what the log says:

[DXCore] Found 2 adapters
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
	Version: 27.20.21002.112
	IsHardware: Yes
	Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6658&SUBSYS_E2580000&REV_00
	LUID: 0x8BBB
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
	Version: 10.0.19041.546
	IsHardware: No
	Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1414&DEV_008C&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
	LUID: 0x9B48
[OpenCL] Found 1 platforms:
Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
	Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
	Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3240.6)
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing:
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
	Version: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (3240.6)
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
[OpenCL] Error -6 (715): Could not create command queue!

Edited by Vepar

@Vepar

Thank you for the feedback, and for confirming that the release of the 21.5.1 drivers has not resolved the problem.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

2 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Vepar

Thank you for the feedback, and for confirming that the release of the 21.5.1 drivers has not resolved the problem.

No problem, thanks for helping me solve this! :)
And yeah, AMD needs to fix this, there's nothing really Serif or the users can do about it other than use older drivers.
But it's fine, it's not like i'm now using an ancient drivers, it's just a few versions earlier. They work so whatever. :P