You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files.app thumbnails only showing generic Designer logo

Ever since 1.9 came out, when I save Designer files to iCloud Drive, they don't show custom thumbnails. They only show generic Designer thumbnails (screenshot attached).

When I sort by date in Files.app, there's a clear switch from when documents used to get custom thumbnails and when they stopped.

If I send the files to my computer, I can see thumbnails in Finder and Quick Look works as expected.

Most of the Designer work is done on iPad, though, and I'd really love to figure out how to get thumbnails back. Because File.app shows thumbnails from previous versions, it doesn't feel like the whole system is broken, just for new files.

IMG_FF42E5EDB18E-1.jpeg

• Staff

Hi @mattthewXL,

Welcome to the forums. We are aware of this issue, but it's an iOS/Files bug rather than an Affinity bug. It only seems to affect a very small number of people. 

On 5/18/2021 at 7:45 AM, mattthewXL said:

If I send the files to my computer, I can see thumbnails in Finder and Quick Look works as expected.

The thumbnail is written in the file, so if it was missing, you would not have seen it on your desktop. We have no way of forcing iOS to re-render/cache the thumbnails. I'm afraid there's not much we can do in this case. You could try to reboot your iPad, or contact Apple and see why the same file has thumbnails on Desktop but not on mobile. 

• 8 months later...

I also have this problem, but with Mac desktop since the 1.10 upgrade. In the screenshot, you can see a couple of older files with preview thumbnails and then two newer files with generic AD thumbnails.

Is there a setting I need to change? Or does anyone know if this has been reported as a bug elsewhere for 1.10?

471341358_ScreenShot2022-02-01at1_19_56PM.png.71b4b3238a9f25d66e17d0dea8e90e5b.png

UPDATE

I restarted my computer and now all my AD, APub, and APh files have preview thumbnails. Cheers

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• 4 months later...

I'm experiencing the same problem on my iPad. It's been this way since I downloaded Designer the first time a while back. Has anayone been able to find a solution yet??

I've already been through several iOS and Designer updates since I first noticed this bug. I uninstalled and re-installed Deisnger. I rebooted my iPad a bunch of times. Nothing worked. All my files in the Files app still appear with the generic Deisgner logo and no thumb preview.

I read elsewhere on the forum that it's likely an Apple caching issue or whatnot. Be that as it may, why is Affinity Designer the only app that has this issue on my ipad?? Not even the free apps that I'm using have ever had this bug so far. 

Also, I think that several iOS updates and my fresh install of Affinity Designer would have sorted this out by now, wouldn't they? Alas, that's not the case.

• 7 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, STGM said:

I'm experiencing the same problem on my iPad. It's been this way since I downloaded Designer the first time a while back. Has anayone been able to find a solution yet??

I've already been through several iOS and Designer updates since I first noticed this bug. I uninstalled and re-installed Deisnger. I rebooted my iPad a bunch of times. Nothing worked. All my files in the Files app still appear with the generic Deisgner logo and no thumb preview.

I read elsewhere on the forum that it's likely an Apple caching issue or whatnot. Be that as it may, why is Affinity Designer the only app that has this issue on my ipad?? Not even the free apps that I'm using have ever had this bug so far. 

Also, I think that several iOS updates and my fresh install of Affinity Designer would have sorted this out by now, wouldn't they? Alas, that's not the case.

For the odd file I can find that does not show a thumbnail I just select the files and use the iCloud “more->download now” option which seems to rebuild the icons just fine.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help