You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection with Aperture/Affinity Photo

I've happily been using the Nik Collection with (now unsupported) Aperture for years and would like to install it as an AP plug-in. I've never had Photoshop or Lightroom installed. If I create a new "Photoshop plug-ins" folder in the applications folder on my hard drive and add the newly created folder as a destination when re-installing the Nik Collection, will the installer also install to Aperture? Has anyone tried installing the Nik Collection to Aperture and AP without Photoshop or Lightroom installed? 

AFAIK, NIK will install to whatever supported application that it supports. So your Aperture install is save / will be created as needed. Affinity Photo needs real Photoshop plugins though methinks, not just a folder look alike (could be any really, as long as they get installed in it).

I never tried though, as I always had some form of Photoshop on my HDs, starting with PSE 8. 

Right now, of the PS plug-ins, only the four with Efex in their name are working (three for PSE, as that´s not fit for HDR Efex). A workaround in any case is to use the standalone applications. For that all you have to do is to create TIFF files first, for NIK to work on. The ones without Efex in their name don´t have a File menu item, those you open with right clicking on the image files, choose ´Open With´, find the component you want to use and click on it.  Beware that using the button to save will be destructive, so if you already have a TIFF you´re happy with, better duplicate it first. It will also quit the application. The ´Efex´ ones have a File menu, you will have the option to save with a different name, even as JPG should you wish to. When using the menu instead of the buttons, the application will not quit.