You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double click on image in Publisher does not open Photo anymore

Hi,

Until the latest update I used this function all the time - I've created a Picture Frame, inserted an image and if I double clicked this image, it opened directly in Affinity Photo. Just this image, no other layers. I then could edit the image alone in Affinity Photo and after saving it took me back to Publisher. And - it did not matter whether this image was embedded or linked.

But now when I double click on the image within the Picture Frame, it only zooms into this layer.

And - with the image layer selected - when I switch to Photo Persona in the tope left corner, it still shows all the layers, not just the image, as I would expect.

Am I missing something? Does this function have to be allowed somewhere now?

Thanks.

Some questions:

1. Please be more specific about what you mean by an Image, and exactly what type of file it is. Technically, "image" is only JPG, TIFF, or PNG.
  2. Is it an Embedded file, or a Linked file? (What does the Resource Manager say?)
  3. In the Context Toolbar, do you have Edit Image or Edit Document available?
13 minutes ago, brunoczech said:

And - with the image layer selected - when I switch to Photo Persona in the tope left corner, it still shows all the layers, not just the image, as I would expect.

Switching to the Photo Persona doesn't do anything special, and never has, in terms of the document context. You're still in whatever document you were in before, with whatever layers it has.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Some questions:

1. Please be more specific about what you mean by an Image, and exactly what type of file it is. Technically, "image" is only JPG, TIFF, or PNG.
  2. Is it an Embedded file, or a Linked file? (What does the Resource Manager say?)
  3. In the Context Toolbar, do you have Edit Image or Edit Document available?

Switching to the Photo Persona doesn't do anything special, and never has, in terms of the document context. You're still in whatever document you were in before, with whatever layers it has.

1. It is JPG image

2. Embedded (but as I said before - that double click used to work with linked images, too)

3. No, I don't see these options within the Context Toolbar

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 22.46.50.png

1 hour ago, brunoczech said:

2. Embedded (but as I said before - that double click used to work with linked images, too)

It still does work with Linked images. But it hasn't worked for a long time with Embedded images. Not since 1.8 if I remember correctly.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for the video.

I have done some more experimenting, and have found two aspects of this that don't work as I thought they did:

1. For a Linked image file that is not in a Picture Frame, you can edit it, but not by double-clicking on the Image layer. You need to use the Edit Image button in the Context Toolbar. I'm not sure when that changed.
  2. When a Picture Frame is used, you do not get the Edit Image button, and therefore cannot edit the Linked image separately. I don't know if that is correct, or not. With a Picture Frame it seems that only Replace Image is allowed.

-- Walt
PC:

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When a Picture Frame is used, you do not get the Edit Image button

Double-click a picture frame to select the child object. There's your Edit Image button.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, loukash said:

Double-click a picture frame to select the child object. There's your Edit Image button.

You are right. 

But I would bet that it used to work the way I described - double click on the actual image layer opened the image in Photo Persona where I could edit it straight away.

Thanks for help, guys!

6 minutes ago, brunoczech said:

I would bet that it used to work the way I described - double click on the actual image layer opened the image in Photo Persona where I could edit it straight away.

I don't remember, I haven't used the early Affinity versions very often, particularly as long as they only allowed embedded images which is something I don't like.
And I, for one, am happy that it doesn't open a different app on double click. That's a behavior that I definitely don't appreciate either.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 minutes ago, brunoczech said:

But I would bet that it used to work the way I described - double click on the actual image layer opened the image in Photo Persona where I could edit it straight away.

Processoing has changed multiple times over the current short life of Publisher.

This worked differently in the Public Beta, then differently in 1.7, and differently in 1.8, and (I think) differently in 1.9 as the functions have been improved and modified.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

And I, for one, am happy that it doesn't open a different app on double click.

It never has done that. But at various times one of the behaviors of a double-click was to open the Linked (or at one time Embedded) layer in a new editing tab within Publisher, where you could switch to the Photo Persona.

Now, apparently, you have to use Edit Image to get that function for a Linked Image layer.

-- Walt
PC: