You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blurry images and missing resources

I just opened a Publisher (1.9.3) project and got an missing resources message. 

Two images are just showing very blurry.   

The mreeage asks me to loctae them, they do seem to be in the layers list but those only refer to the very blurry images. I may be able to locate the original images, but it may be difficult.

Can anyone please help? Thanks334834289_Screenshot2021-05-17at09_53_50.thumb.png.7f4f83377e4e19a95f43592005cce597.png

The "blurry" images are low res versions of the original images. As the original images were linked, rather than embedded, you will need to locate them, as per the message. If you want to use linked images in a project you really need to leave them in the same location that they were in when you linked them, so that APub can find them.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I have no idea what linked means, or rather, I can imagine  but I wouldn't know how to link. Normally I just open an image in Affinity then copy and paste into my project. I've never had this problem before.

So what should I now do to make sure images are embedded not linked?

Edit: I have seen the manual, which mentions embedding, but doesn't actually tell you how to embed or how to link ???

Many thanks.

When you open a new document there is an option labelled "Image placement policy" change it to "Prefer Embedded" instead of "Prefer Linked".

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

OK, I can see that option but it seems to be ticked by default (and I certainly never unticed it, so I am confused as to how some of the images are linked not embedded 

I have managed to replace those images in the document, but I still don't know whether they are embedded or linked.

I can open the resources manager, but these two images do not show in it, although they are in the layer list and now back in the document

embedded.thumb.jpg.95709ad930491e176fda0c4b403d1db3.jpg

6 hours ago, Mr Lucky said:

I have managed to replace those images in the document, but I still don't know whether they are embedded or linked.

How specifically did you replace them? (Place, copy/paste. something else?)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

52 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How specifically did you replace them? (Place, copy/paste. something else?)

Copy and paste. I open them in Affinity photo, crop then copy and paste into Publisher. Nothing tells me whether I'm embedding or linking and as above nor does the resources manager tell me. In fact it's a bit annoying because the images it does list have the wrong (old) names

7 hours ago, Mr Lucky said:

I can open the resources manager, but these two images do not show in it, although they are in the layer list and now back in the document

Your most recent screenshot shows the two images as Pixel objects in your document. A Pixel object is Affinity's standard raster object (its pixels can be directly edited by painting, erasing, application of destructive filters, etc). Pixel objects are never included in the Resource Manager.

1 hour ago, Mr Lucky said:

Now I'm confused why the same images were (presumably) linked as opposed to embedded but i have no way to know.😟

If something is not included in the Resource Manager, you can assume it is neither a linked or embedded document, but as @anon2 said, an ordinary objects, in this case a pixel layer.

Also, the Layers panel will indicate if a layer is an embedded or a linked document -- either with the "(Embedded Document)" or "(Linked Document)" parenthetical suffix, in the same way pixel layers have the "(Pixel)" suffix.

See also this help topic if you are still uncertain about the difference between linked & embedded document files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7