You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

patch tool / global source broken 1.9.4.1065

Hi,

the patch tool seems broken when using global source.

You get mainly black or very dark colors as result.

It works in latest stable 1.9.2.1035

image.thumb.png.69655c5f4c97cbd39abf43c8fd93e7f7.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Interesting. Do you get this if you turn OpenCL off?

This was happening generally in the 1.9 builds but IIRC Global Source was not a key. 

Actually, i totally fail to get patch tool and global source to work. I tried an hour and failed every time. No matter if beta or latest stable, no matter if OpenCL  on/off.

Would you be so kind and provide a quick instruction how to

• use the patch tool,
  • combined with a global source,
  • and maybe a non-destructive workflow (using an empty pixel layer as target)?

It seems this combination is impossible.

But even the most simplistic version:

• use the patch tool,
  • combined with a global source

I never get any working sequence of steps:

• You must use at least 2 documents. Where to start the sequence, source or destination?
  • The patch tool is not synchronized between documents.You can (and need to) activate it per document.
  • According to help, you must use "selection is source". But then, you cannot set "set global source" (greyed out).
  • Only after switching between documents, you can activate "set global source"
  • But then, the relation to the destination file is broken.
  • Other than explained in help file, the sources do not show up in "source" tool.
  • Adding the source manually has no impact to patch tool.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Hi NotMyFault,

I'd recommmend watching this tutorial as it will show you how to use it better than I could ever explain. It's using the Clone Tool as opposed to the Patch Tool but the principles are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjcN3Nx1eI&ab_channel=Graphicxtras.com

All I really needed to know from a QA perspective was if OpenCL disabled still gave you the black result or not. Can you confirm this?

FYI I've just watched parts of the video and can sucessfully get this working so please watch it if you have time and then tell me what's not working for you.

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi NotMyFault,

I'd recommmend watching this tutorial as it will show you how to use it better than I could ever explain. It's using the Clone Tool as opposed to the Patch Tool but the principles are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjcN3Nx1eI&ab_channel=Graphicxtras.com

All I really needed to know from a QA perspective was if OpenCL disabled still gave you the black result or not. Can you confirm this?

FYI I've just watched parts of the video and can sucessfully get this working so please watch it if you have time and then tell me what's not working for you.

Hi Chris,

Clone works well with global source, but patch tool does not work at all. The workflow is definitely different between clone and patch tool.

Clone tool works like:

• double-click onto layer in source panel, (assuming you added one before)
  • Photo switches automatically to source layer
  • alt-click, to define source.
  • In source panel, select source area is marked with white circle
  • Clone brush works like a charm

image.png.22d08a292d33d58360e73747af045373.png

Patch tool:

• There is no guidance (help text in bottom window) how to define global source
  • Nevertheless, I sometimes get a area used as patch, despite no layer is chosen in source, and sources still show "clone" source area by white circle

image.png.fa2d5dfc3007dc3906922551bae774fa.png

• It stays 100% black if mouse staying on blue (destination) area

image.png.d9d46d3d07e9b0bca36c02a80527dd30.png

• it becomes green immediately when touching the (destination) area containing green pixels.

image.png.e53934189d99b7a879237142128620f5.png

• OpenCl is OFF.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.