You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Non-embedded images as an option

Maybe this is a Publisher feature but I think it should work as well in Designer:

Images should also be placeable as mere references. Embedding is fine for convenience in some use cases but I see many cases where it is the less desireable way to deal with pixel images in a vector environment.

With non-embedded images I can change a picture externally and have it updated automatically as long as its name hasn’t changed. But more importantly: This would keep file size small.

Today I am working on a package design with lots of imported images – the AD file size keeps on growing. But this is redundant as I have to keep my original image files anyway.

Best

Matthias

@ Captain Podd: File size is one point, the other point is a shared environment. An example: I use a photo in different layouts like an ad, a flyer, whatever. With a linked photo every change in the photo affects every instance where it is being used. Which is good.

Fortunately we do know linked files will come eventually, yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

i would like to second that feature.

+20 years in design for printed media. inability to link images is the deal breaker.

file size is a very serious issue when working 70x100cm@300DPI layout.

updating bit-mapped images in PSD or AP and refreshing in AD is regular workflow. as matthias said, one image is shared among many layouts and/or documents.

illustrators, UX designers, even web designers might not benefit from that feature, but in print production that is the deal breaker.

• 3 months later...

Hi Matthias,

This is already planned (linked files/images) but it may still take a while.

Well, we cannot see what is planned but how does it get onto the C F R I or into the feature roadmap? Is it a more mathematical or a human process?

When this feature was already planned, it was perhaps a secret or an element of the first concept?

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Oval,

Linked files/images will be necessary for Affinity Publisher otherwise you will end up with huge files if you embed everything.

It will then be eventually ported back to Designer since it can also be useful here. It isn't necessarily in Designer's roadmap now because this will be probably introduced with Publisher but it may end up there too due to the software suite synergies.

...this will be most likely a designer V2 feature because designer is 18month in the wild now and thus in 6 months the current version will not get major new features. And APub is delayed to late 2016/ early 2017 which is more than 6 months. So I'd say that linked documents along with vectorising capabilities will be among the unique selling points of V2.

V2

First time to hear of a Version 2.

What will the paying cycle be?   —   50 € every two years?

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil