You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shade Vector Art Using Raster Brushes

One of the amazing things about Affinity Designer is how it mixes vector and raster art in one slick workflow. See an example of this in our tutorial that shows shading with a raster brush over vector shapes.

You can see other tutorials in our vimeo album, the collection will grow over time.

Thanks, Dale.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

this was the "killer" feature that swayed me to use the beta (and eventually purchase the app). IMHO shading with a raster brush within a vector shape softens the illustration. Still getting a feel for the raster brushes. But very happy with the results so far. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, I just stumbled upon the different brush categories drop down in the pixel persona brushes palette...! Until now I thought the only brushes were the ones that show up as default. Krickey!

Is there a tutorial on creating and saving your own brushes so they will show up every time you start a new file?

Cheers guys, awesome work!

• Staff

The feature is available - just no tutorial yet :)

The brushes in that panel are global (not tied to one particular document) - so - click the little menu button at the top right of the brushes panel and choose "New Brush". A new brush will be added to the end of the list - double click on it and set it up how you want.

Hope this helps,

AndyS

Okay so that worked but... ideally shouldn't a user be able to pick an existing brush, make some edits, opacity, flow, size etc... then save that brush to a new category called "my brushes" for instance, then have access to them in every file.

I didn't see any options in the properties popup that would get me close to any of those nice built-in brushes... and to delete brushes that I created that I didn't like I had to delete the whole category...

I can see the start of something promising here but it feels a little awkward at present.

• 2 weeks later...