You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

French accent letters using windows character map

In my other graphic design software, I use windows character map to select, copy and paste accented letters into my text.

This doesn't work with AD - I don't want to go and change Language because of spell check etc - is there a workaround?

That works for me but I always seem to get an unwanted newline for some reason (I don’t use it often so it’s not a big problem for me).
Have you tried the in-built Glyph Browser (menu “Text → Show Glyph Browser”) instead?

Screenshot 2021-05-14 145050.png

2 minutes ago, MikeK36 said:

just spent 10 minutes trying the get a lower case acute e

Holding down the right-hand Alt key (marked Alt Gr on a UK Windows keyboard) and pressing a vowel key will put an acute accent on that vowel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This might be helpful.

https://www.evertype.com/alphabets/french.pdf

I have just now tried copying from that page and pasting an â character to a text frame in Affinity Designer. Just format as to size and font once pasted into Affinity Designer.

I pasted the â in this post from the clipboard too.

One of a collection of PDF (Portable Document Format) documents linked from the following page.

https://www.evertype.com/alphabets/

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

4 hours ago, William Overington said:

Quotation marks: ‹_single_›

Not in French french… I don't understand where those come from, I didn't even know how to type them before stumbling on them in the Wikipédia page. And never saw them in any book (but we had interesting uses of double quotes in the past, that are sadly unpractical or difficult  to reproduce with modern software).

16 hours ago, William Overington said:

This might be helpful.

https://www.evertype.com/alphabets/french.pdf

I have just now tried copying from that page and pasting an â character to a text frame in Affinity Designer. Just format as to size and font once pasted into Affinity Designer.

I pasted the â in this post from the clipboard too.

One of a collection of PDF (Portable Document Format) documents linked from the following page.

https://www.evertype.com/alphabets/

William

Works like a charm! Thank you!

An interesting story that I have told before elsewhere might be of interest.

One day in the early 1970s I observed two researchers with a large Spanish and English dictionary trying to understand a research paper in what they had thought was Spanish.

I glanced at it and said that it was not Spanish, but was Portuguese.

In astonishment in his voice, one of the researchers asked me "Do you speak Portuguese?"

I replied "No, but I am interested in printing and I know that that 'a' with that accent is used in Portuguese but not in Spanish."

As it happens some years previously I had seen in a catalogue for Riscatype, a brand name for a metal type foundry then based in Risca, South Wales, a list of the accented characters needed for various European languages and had studied it with some interest. I have later learned that the character is an 'a tilde'.

The accents used in the various languages are quite interesting. Some used in several languages, some in just one language.

The tilde accent in just a few languages, the caron in just a few languages

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

23 hours ago, MikeK36 said:

... I use windows character map to select, copy and paste accented letters into my text.

This doesn't work with AD - I don't want to go and change Language because of spell check etc - is there a workaround?

Try an UTF-8 based character map instead and make sure the selected font in use has and thus supports those characters then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2