You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Random crashing in the background

Sometimes when I come back from sleep mode the app crashed. Sometimes I do something else and within minutes / hours I get a pop-up with the crash. 

I'm working on a artboard file with multiple effects applied (blur, outer shadow, etc ...) with the latest version of Designer and the crash may appear multiple times per day but never when I'm working on it!

I have experienced crashes when I put my MacBook Air M1 to sleep by closing the lid while Designer is running, even in the foreground. When I reopen the MBA the next day, I saw a crash report from Designer. Two days in a row now.

Latest crash report:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdquqyphvtlheqm/crash-affinity-designer-2021-05-28.txt?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...

I have crashes on my intel MBP 16.. Crash reports do nothing, I've posted them in another thread. Also now the app doesn't crash on itself, but when I close it, it closes, and when I open a random file, it says it has a recovery file... This happens a LOT of times.

2 hours ago, norbinw said:

Also now the app doesn't crash on itself, but when I close it, it closes, and when I open a random file, it says it has a recovery file... This happens a LOT of times.

Are they possibly files that you were working on sometime earlier when it did crash?

When you start the application, and it says there are recovery files, it is only recovering the files you were working on that had never been saved, and thus were still "unnamed". For any files that had names, it will only mention the recovery files if you actually try to Open those files again. (The Affinity Preference whether to automatically reopen files, or any system preference for that on Mac, may also interact with this behavior.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Nope. I was working on a random 2000x68 pixel banner, 2 layers, saved, delivered. Closed the app, no crashing (at least no crash report message). Then today when I open up the app, recovery.. so I pressed ok to see what's it all about, and it opened that 2000x68 pixel file.

But it happens randomly. Yes I don't save these files, I work on them, save a copy, mail them, then delete. But I do this quite often. Other times files I have saved open when pressing recovery.. Most of the time I just hit Don't open and work from scratch. But it's annoying.

Thanks for the added workflow details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah but I don't know how :)) as it happens randomly. And when I open a random file, SOMETIMES the app starts with a recovery notification.. Often not even related to the file I open.. For ex today I had the 2000x68 file open ,yet I only opened the app to work from scratch.

@norbinw It sounds like there is a file in the app that is trying to recover and it's getting a bit confused. If you clear out any files that are in this location it should solve the issue. The location of the files depends on wether you are using the MAS version of the Affinity Store version.

Affinity Store:
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/autosave/
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/temp/

Mac App Store:
~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/autosave/
~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/temp/

Mac App Store version ( Big Sur ):
~/Library/Containers/Affinity Designer/Data/Library/Application Support/autosave/
~/Library/Containers/Affinity Designer/Data/Library/Application Support/temp/

If you make sure that the relevant folders are empty the message should go away.