You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add vector node in middle of path?

Is there a way to add a vector node in the middle of an existing path? For example, in sketch.app, a node can be placed directly in the middle of a path if you hold option key while hovering it.

Edit: Just noticed this can be achieved with snapping guides. Is this the only method?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Noob,

To do this in Designer

Once you have drawn your path if you switch to the Node tool which is [A] . You should be able to add nodes wherever you like in the path by holding the Optionkey and clicking.

To do this in Photo

Once your path is drawn with the Pen Tool selected [P] press CMD⌘ and click where you want to place a node.

I hope this helps :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum

I understand that you can add nodes wherever, but my question pertains to adding a node directly in the middle of a path. I've discovered the best way to achieve this is by enabling the "Snap to Key Points" option and hover the path with the Pen Tool [P]. A yellow node will show when the node is centered.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Noob,

Do you want to insert the node in the square's path or simply start a new path from the middle of the top segment?

- If it's the first case: select the square, change to the Node Tool and click over the path. If you have used a smart shape, you must convert it to curves before you can add the node, then drag a guide to the middle of the square, place the node and drag it until you reach the guide (make sure Snap to guides is checked in the Snapping Manager). 

-If it's the second case: select the Pen Tool, make sure the Snap to object bounding boxes and Include bounding box mid points are both checked in the Snapping Manager..., mouse-over the square a few moments (if needed) to turn the object into a snapping candidate (you can also enable Show snapping candidates in the Snapping manager) and position the cursor over the midpoint of the top segment (the smart guides will appear). Click to start a new path from there.

Hey MEB, I want to insert the node in the square's path, resulting in a square with 5 nodes. I have all the snapping options enabled, but when I attempt to insert the node -- using the Node Tool [A] -- there's no indication as to where the middle of the path line is. I have no problem adding the node to the path correctly… just can't place it directly in the middle.

Mmmh - not sure - but I think he wants to add the new node/point exactly in the middle between 2 points - maybe to make a "symmetrical house":

post-28670-0-59358300-1460996250_thumb.png

In this case there´s an easy workaround but imagine you want that on a curvy spline or circle.

Cheers

P.

PixelPest is correct -- that's what I'm trying to achieve. As an example, in Sketch.app, if you press "command" while hovering the path segment, an "indicator" appears in the middle of the segment so you know where to place the node.

I don't think we have this ability yet.

I like Pixel's workaround!

2 more:

1) use MEBS second suggestion. Start a new line from a center snap. Add a point on the original shape and snap it to the new line start. Delete new line. 

2) Draw an eight sided figure. Snap the midpoints flat on the sides.

This is good for even more evenly spaced segments.

A curve is another story.....

(just saw all the new posts.... snap to guide is good too :))

• 8 months later...

Hello out there! :) 

Just started with AD and been searching around the interweb for ages.
Seems like there is no real option to split something in half e.g. a curve-path between two nodes, or a pentagon.
The last post is from April last year. Still no option for this?

I know, creating new stuff is tedious and a pain in the ass, but being able to split something in half shouldn't be that hard, right?

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but to use AD as a freelancer – which is now my way to go, if I look at the rip-off subscription models of other companies – these are some fundamental operations to implement.

thx

Bo

// sort of freelancer // professionally designing things digital and IRL // products - gfx - light - UI & UX //

In the Node Tool there's no need to press the Option key. Just click over the path to add a node (the cursor will show a small wave when you are hovering the path).

A little bit off topic but, is it possible to add an option to delete node with a double-click on it (like Corel) instead with <Delete> key?

And if you add drawing straight lines while <Shift> key is pressed during drawing with pencil tool -- you can remove the pen tool from the tool palette.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

And if you add drawing straight lines while <Shift> key is pressed during drawing with pencil tool -- you can remove the pen tool from the tool palette.

??? Unless I have greatly misunderstood what you mean, there is no way this could replace the functionality of the Pen tool. The Pencil tool is primarily for freeform sketching, while the Pen tool allows creating precisely placed nodes, including bezier curves, sharp sided polygons, etc.

I also don't see much benefit for a double-click to delete a node with the Node tool. I would probably be more likely to accidentally double-click on a node I wanted to modify than to intentionally delete one. Marque selecting multiple nodes to delete them is more efficient than double-clicking on them one at a time, so it offers no benefit in that respect. There is also the alt+delete key feature to remove curved nodes without affecting the curve at the selected node(s) to consider.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

??? Unless I have greatly misunderstood what you mean, there is no way this could replace the functionality of the Pen tool. The Pencil tool is primarily for freeform sketching, while the Pen tool allows creating precisely placed nodes, including bezier curves, sharp sided polygons, etc.

I also don't see much benefit for a double-click to delete a node with the Node tool. I would probably be more likely to accidentally double-click on a node I wanted to modify than to intentionally delete one. Marque selecting multiple nodes to delete them is more efficient than double-clicking on them one at a time, so it offers no benefit in that respect. There is also the alt+delete key feature to remove curved nodes without affecting the curve at the selected node(s) to consider.

Yes, yes. It happened to me once. I accidentally TRIPLE-clicked and may OS has changed from MacOS to Windows and I don't know how to bring it back. UNDO doesn't work. Anyone?  :D

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi Bomatick,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, sorry. This option wasn't implemented yet. The 1.6 Beta cycle should start soon and it will bring new features however i don't know if this one will be included at this point.

Hello MEB(?) :) 

Thx for your lighting fast reply.

I've attached two pics with this post to clarify what I'm up to.

When using the Pen tool, I sometimes get additional distances (in red) between two nodes (though I wasn't able to screen capture them). This is helpful, but why not snap to the middle, when you already have the data?

Or when using the Node tool, I can hover over a line and insert a additional node, which is good,  so I'm able to do this (snap to middle) with the object itself (this is why I might be able to do this on the sides and on the top/bottom of the attached hexagon) not with the line. -_-

I got you right, this option isn't implemented yet, or am I missing something fundamental?

I mean, working with symmetry is on of THE most important feature to have in content creation (and also lining up vertices/nodes evenly on any line).

Because I really like to make the transition away from Illustrator and use AD as a freelancer professionally (where the 50 bucks is really cheap, dunno how much longer you can sustain this price-policy if you transition further into a whole suite of pro-grade tools with Pages and stuff).

Anyways...

if any of you out there has a workaround, I'd appreciate every help. :) 

Bo

It took me seconds to do this in Corel Draw. I really would appreciate if you'd implement some serious node- & line-tools in 1.6!

This is a dealbreaker for some kind of work. thx.

post-49297-0-36279600-1484732142_thumb.png

post-49297-0-02533900-1484732151_thumb.png

Edited by Bomatick

// sort of freelancer // professionally designing things digital and IRL // products - gfx - light - UI & UX //

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...