You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, 
how can I activate preview of affinity files, when they are stored in onedrive AND synced locally. Same files "only" on my hardrive are shown with a preview in Win10. But when synced, the files are local too??

Thanks

Erwin

image.thumb.png.46c3da5e7c0b0537e148bf03bebf8bdc.png

• Staff

Hi @ekweb,

Unfortunately these thumbnails not appearing for synced files is an issue between OneDrive and Explorer and is not controlled by Affinity directly.

Please see the below post for more information here - 

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

So I have read that this is a problem between Affinity and OneDrive not windows explorer. And thumbnails and previews work fine for all other programmes in OneDrive, it is just affinity that don't work. Is there a solution to this on the horizon? as this is a major issue.

• Staff

As mentioned, this isn't something that Affinity can directly control - we embed a thumbnail image with our Affinity files and these are correctly displayed by Explorer, which shows the thumbnail is embedded and can be 'read'.

Unfortunately once OneDrive begins to Sync the files, this is when the issue can occur and as above is not something we at Affinity have any control over, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

But my point is that there must be something Affinity can do as it works on onedrive with other files (adobe files, png, pdf, jpeg, microsoft docs, spreadsheets & powerpoints all work fine on onedrive) - So how does microsoft, adobe and the others manage it? I even tried just making the affinity files 'always on this pc' but that still didn't work.

• Staff

We have attempted previously to contact OneDrive to help them resolve this issue, however this has been to no avail. 

These other file formats work because OneDrive have done extra 'background' work to ensure the previews are shown correctly - as I don't work for the OneDrive team I can't be more specific here, but whatever change needs to be made has to be done on OneDrives side - hence we at Affinity have no further control here.

Unfortunately there's only so much that can be done with the Affinity file format within Affinitys coding, and as these thumbnails show in regular Windows Explorer, Finder (on Mac) and other DAM applications (such as XnView MP, NeoFinder etc), this confirms we are correctly writing the thumbnail to the file and support past this point is dependent on the third party (in your case OneDrive).

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, Dan C said:

We have attempted previously to contact OneDrive to help them resolve this issue, however this has been to no avail. 

These other file formats work because OneDrive have done extra 'background' work to ensure the previews are shown correctly - as I don't work for the OneDrive team I can't be more specific here, but whatever change needs to be made has to be done on OneDrives side - hence we at Affinity have no further control here.

Unfortunately there's only so much that can be done with the Affinity file format within Affinitys coding, and as these thumbnails show in regular Windows Explorer, Finder (on Mac) and other DAM applications (such as XnView MP, NeoFinder etc), this confirms we are correctly writing the thumbnail to the file and support past this point is dependent on the third party (in your case OneDrive).

I hope this clears things up :)

OneDrive is NOT a separate program, it's not like GoogleDrive/Box/dropbox, OneDrive is BAKED into windows and ships with EVERY windows machine/license. It's like you having the same problem with time machine enabled on a mac. This issue has been going on for far too long and someone really needs to speak to your windows dev team contact because you're as good as saying tough (which isn't ok). I use OneDrive because of it's ease but I want to see the previews for my Affinity work as well. 

1 hour ago, dre. said:

OneDrive is NOT a separate program

Yes it is. It was created and owned by MicroSoft. It's not baked in, you can pause, disable and uninstall it.

OneDrive is an Internet-based storage platform with a significant chunk of space offered for free by Microsoft to anyone with a Microsoft account. Think of it as a hard drive in the cloud, which you can share, with a few extra benefits thrown in. One of the primary benefits: OneDrive hooks into Windows 10, at least in fits and starts.

MS OneDrive

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @ekweb,

Unfortunately these thumbnails not appearing for synced files is an issue between OneDrive and Explorer and is not controlled by Affinity directly.

Please see the below post for more information here - 

I hope this clears things up!

That's RUBBISH, I can preview ALL my OLD CorelDraw files. If corel can get this to work then Affinity cannot blame Microsoft, it's clearly an Affinity issue. 

27 minutes ago, dre. said:

That's RUBBISH, I can preview ALL my OLD CorelDraw files. If corel can get this to work then Affinity cannot blame Microsoft, it's clearly an Affinity issue. 

Who is talking rubbish?

it is definitely a Microsoft thing. Check the size of the files.

Note: No previews/thumbnails are available for PDFs or images larger than 100MB.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/onedrive-thumbnails-3166b039-0d1c-4390-90a4-ff589e7ff98f

IMG_0512.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

Who is talking rubbish?

it is definitely a Microsoft thing. Check the size of the files.

Note: No previews/thumbnails are available for PDFs or images larger than 100MB.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/onedrive-thumbnails-3166b039-0d1c-4390-90a4-ff589e7ff98f

IMG_0512.jpeg

THIS THREAD and MY response is NOT about PDF files, it's about Affinity files! Notwithstanding this, MY files are LESS than 100MB, these are AFFINITY Designer and Photo files, NOT pdf's. If COREL can get a preview working with OneDrive saved CorelDraw documents then so can Affinity. It's an affinity issue, plain and simple. 

Microsoft got the ability to read CRD files via Visio 2002, which is now part of the Office Family of Apps, tightly woven into OneDrive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CorelDRAW

In 2007, Microsoft blocked CDR file format in Microsoft Office 2003 with the release of Service Pack 3 for Office 2003.[68][69] Microsoft later apologized for inaccurately blaming the CDR file format and other formats for security problems in Microsoft Office and released some tools for solving this problem.[70]

Other applications supporting CDR files

CDR file format import is partially or fully supported in following applications:

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

19 minutes ago, dre. said:

THIS THREAD and MY response is NOT about PDF files, it's about Affinity files! Notwithstanding this,

Read the sentence again. It says PDF or Image files.

19 minutes ago, ronanski said:

No I have to agree with dre, all my files are well under 100MB and it is only affinity files that this is an issue with, other software like adobe there is never been a problem, so it is definitely an affinity error

There are multiple potential issues leading to OneDrive not showing thumbnails. The size is only on of them - this is why I asked to check your file size.

21 minutes ago, dre. said:

THIS THREAD and MY response is NOT about PDF files, it's about Affinity files! Notwithstanding this, MY files are LESS than 100MB, these are AFFINITY Designer and Photo files, NOT pdf's. If COREL can get a preview working with OneDrive saved CorelDraw documents then so can Affinity. It's an affinity issue, plain and simple. 

Calling other post rubbish, using CAPITALS (normally interpreted as screaming) - what escalation will come next from your side?
it is ok to express your factual opinion. Those verbal/written escalations are totally superfluous and against the forums guidelines.
Respect please.

33 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Calling other post rubbish, using CAPITALS (normally interpreted as screaming) - what escalation will come next from your side?
it is ok to express your factual opinion. Those verbal/written escalations are totally superfluous and against the forums guidelines.
Respect please.

What is your point? I have clearly stated these are Affinity native files and I have posted a screenshot showing files that are considerably less than 100mb that are not working. It's a known issues for over 2 years, CORELDRAW can display the file images so it's NOT a microsoft issue and my response was calling BS in the Affinity response blaming Microsoft. If it were an MS issue then NO application would display file thumbnails. If you haven't got anything constructive to add then why troll those of us who are asking Affinity to act?? All they need to do is install CorelDraw and see how it should work and implement it in the next build.  

46 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Read the sentence again. It says PDF or Image files.

READ my post again, my files are considerably LESS than 100mb (less than 2mb on average). Stop trolling if you have nothing constructive to add. 

3 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

There are multiple potential issues leading to OneDrive not showing thumbnails. The size is only on of them - this is why I asked to check your file size.

If CorelDraw (and adobe products) work then it's an Affinity issue they need to address and it's been far too long. They need to accept if other software works, theirs should too. 

• Staff

I do not believe there to be any 'trolling' in this thread, @dre. - User @NotMyFault has been patient and forthcoming with information to each of your replies, and simply requested respectful behaviour in return, which is part of the Affinity Forum Guidelines.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with these before continuing to post here.

23 hours ago, dre. said:

Please see my previous reply in this thread regarding this:

On 6/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, Dan C said:

Microsoft have specifically worked with Corel to support thumbnails when using OneDrive, and have not yet worked with Affinity - therefore Affinity file thumbnails are not shown  at this time.
This is not a 'bug' which Affinity can resolve with any coding changes on our end only, so I'm sorry you feel that Affinity are not doing enough, but we simply cannot resolve this without Microsoft making changes.

I hope this clears things up.

Please note -

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

I do not believe there to be any 'trolling' in this thread, @dre. - User @NotMyFault has been patient and forthcoming with information to each of your replies, and simply requested respectful behaviour in return, which is part of the Affinity Forum Guidelines.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with these before continuing to post here.

Please see my previous reply in this thread regarding this:

Microsoft have specifically worked with Corel to support thumbnails when using OneDrive, and have not yet worked with Affinity - therefore Affinity file thumbnails are not shown  at this time.
This is not a 'bug' which Affinity can resolve with any coding changes on our end only, so I'm sorry you feel that Affinity are not doing enough, but we simply cannot resolve this without Microsoft making changes.

I hope this clears things up.

With all due respect, the responses were not helpful and they ended up being troll responses.  

With regards to your response, how do you know that Microsoft worked with Corel? That seems like some very specific information that someone who works for neither company would be privy too. Furthermore, if you know this to be true why aren't you doing something about it? It's been MORE than TWO years since this was brought up and you claim to know that one of your your biggest competitors has been working with the 3rd biggest company (by market cap) in the world to give them a competitive advantage yet you've done nothing to get Microsoft to level the playing field, or, in the alternative, demand that they act by by complaining about unfair business practices to the EU/Canadian/UK trade commissioners.