You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Processed into melted characters

Nice to meet you.

How can I make the characters look like they are melted as shown in the attachment?

FYI: This image says that Gaussian blur and level correction should be done in Japanese.
 However, this is another software operation method, and I couldn't do it well with affinity.

20101128_1.png

Cc4am4ZVIAAFP4-.jpeg

Three questions:
1. Do you start off with an image of the characters or are you creating them with a font?
2. Do you need the result to be vector or raster?
3. Which Affinity application(s) do you have?
The possibilities and techniques are dependant on your answers.

Unfortunately, the probably easiest solution doesn't work in Affinity apps as it lacks tracing features. In software which has those, I'd just export the images in a very low resolution and trace the pixelated image. That'd give exactly the result you're looking for.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Three questions:
1. Do you start off with an image of the characters or are you creating them with a font?
2. Do you need the result to be vector or raster?
3. Which Affinity application(s) do you have?
The possibilities and techniques are dependant on your answers.

Thank you for confirming.

1. I created them with a font

2. Raster is enough

3. I think I have all (publisher, designer, photo).

7 minutes ago, thatGuy said:

A quick way would be a negative offset via contour tool and a tiny bit of gaussian blur

That makes the characters thinner. If you examine the first image in the original post, you should see that the characters in the second row are ‘melted’ versions of the ones in the first row, and as such they’re slightly thicker.

Given that a raster version is sufficient here, the suggestion from @Andy05 will probably produce a usable result:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I would be tempted to try one of the Liquify Filters in Photo. Might take a while but you have full control.
See my attached image where I quickly ‘melted’ the only the ‘bottoms’ of the letter shapes – a good job will need more time, effort and experimentation.

Screenshot 2021-05-12 124143.png