You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official cover art I illustrated for The Changing Spaces' upcoming release, "Control".
Channeling all those techy cyberpunk vibes with this one!  👾 
Mostly hand-drawn/painted in Affinity Photo using a drawing tablet, with a bit of Designer for the typography.

✍️

www.instagram.com/christidutoit

Process.jpg.85f1f207ab3e4cc0527c8a210743eedb.jpg

Final.jpg.ef159fbcc5d05555f1d7e2b11a2712fa.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Ply23r,

Thanks for your interest in this Affinity kit :)
I can confirm this kits is available to purchase from the Affinity Store, please see the below link for Christi's Comix Toolbox -

https://affinity.serif.com/store/product/christis-comix-toolbox/

We ask that you please familiarise yourself with our Guidelines before posting, as these state the following:

You may not distribute or otherwise publish any material containing any solicitation of funds, promotion, advertising, or solicitation for goods or services.

Unfortunately the Affinity Forums are not the correct place to contact these Artists/users to request this, therefore I have hidden the other posts requesting this.
Many thanks for your understanding!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 5/12/2021 at 7:15 AM, ChristiduToit said:

Mostly hand-drawn/painted in Affinity Photo using a drawing tablet, with a bit of Designer for the typography.

I bought licenses for both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo on the same day some time ago during a 50% offer time.

I already had a license for Affinity Publisher.

It is only fairly recently that I have begun to use Affinity Designer, yet, apart from literally 5 minutes a couple of times i have never used Affinity Photo.

Could you possibly say why you used Affinity Photo please?

For example, was it basically an arbitrary choice between Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, or was it a deliberate choice because for some reason Affinity Photo was a better choice for such a project?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Could you possibly say why you used Affinity Photo please?

Hi William!

Good question. To be completely honest, for this type of work either app will do just fine - the primary tools I use are usually pretty basic and available in both apps.

If the project I'm working on requires more vector work (let's say there's a lot of typography, graphic design, layout, and/or geometric symbols) involved I tend to start in Designer as the vector tools are more easily accessible and robust. I can then switch to the Pixel Persona within Designer to do all of my drawing and painting work.

Similarly, if the project I'm working on leans more towards illustrative or painterly work, I might go for Photo just because it has more in-depth raster based editing tools such as filters, more versatile pixel selection tools, liquify tools, and so on. 

Since the majority of my more recent work requires a lot of drawing and painting, I tend to use Photo often, as it also has some more basic vector tools (just in case I need them). It just tends to suit my workflow a bit better at the moment. With that in mind, I sometimes just arbitrarily pick whichever one I feel like using on the day, and I also sometimes switch between the apps using the 'edit in photo/designer' option while working on  a single project - the universal file format is super helpful for this. :)

There isn't really a right or wrong answer to this - it really boils down to personal preference and what suits your workflow best. I come from a background of illustrating in Adobe Photoshop, and only used to use Adobe Illustrator for more graphic design driven tasks. I suppose I approach my workflow in Affinity in the same way.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, skybound13 said:

Christi,

All three of these are great, thanks for showing how the piece was developed.

Regarding your reference to vector and raster work, did you use any straight guidelines or a grid to draw the helmet or did you freehand that without orthographic references?

Thank you!

To be honest, I just kind of feel it out. If I feel that it's imperative that the line is dead straight then I might use the pen tool, or hold shift to draw a straight line with the brush tool. More often than not I just freehand it and try and get it as clean as possible though. I often find that those subtle imperfections add a lot of character and remind people that the illustration is hand drawn - perfectly straight lines can sometimes feel a bit 'too' digital and lifeless, but that's just my opinion.

You are so right about how those “imperfections” add character - kind of like the difference between manually drafted architectural drawings compared to something done in CAD.

After making my post I found your Bands to Brands Affinity Creative Session video, it was cool to see how you took that design from a sketch on paper to the finished image.

Oh, yeah, something I forgot to mention about The Changing Spaces cover is how you included the “breaking glass” around the figure, it’s a nice touch.  It makes me think of a Frankentoon Studio design with tons of artistic graphic elements around the main figure -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo26ojjHZtA - I look at it and it kind of blows my mind, I love it.

Christi,

I enjoyed the video just like it is, most interesting was the commentary, I was watching it to learn about your workflow, not as a tutorial on how to make the software work.

As for your video serving as a demo of the software, it’s helpful for me to see you doing things that I’m not familiar with so then I say, “OK, he’s rotating the canvas while he works, I’ve never tried that before, how do I do that?”  Then it took me about 15 seconds to search on YouTube and I found James Ritson’s video on that topic - I don’t need you to tell me how to do things like that.

No complaints from me about the speed, the length of the video was just right for me.  I guess when people say it’s too fast that’s their way of saying they like what you’re doing so much they want more, more, more - if that’s the case they can always watch it a second time at 0.25 speed!  :-)

30 minutes ago, skybound13 said:

Christi,

I enjoyed the video just like it is, most interesting was the commentary, I was watching it to learn about your workflow, not as a tutorial on how to make the software work.

As for your video serving as a demo of the software, it’s helpful for me to see you doing things that I’m not familiar with so then I say, “OK, he’s rotating the canvas while he works, I’ve never tried that before, how do I do that?”  Then it took me about 15 seconds to search on YouTube and I found James Ritson’s video on that topic - I don’t need you to tell me how to do things like that.

No complaints from me about the speed, the length of the video was just right for me.  I guess when people say it’s too fast that’s their way of saying they like what you’re doing so much they want more, more, more - if that’s the case they can always watch it a second time at 0.25 speed!  🙂

That was my exact intention - showing how I integrate the software as part of a professional project workflow instead of just doing a step-by-step tutorial.
I also didn't want to include an hour of silence where I chip away at aspects that aren't really relevant to the point I was trying to get across.
Really glad that that's how it was received on your end. :)

Personally, I've always found that to be more useful as everyone has their own style and approach to their work, and there are already enough amazing 'how to' illustration/design videos that are usually fairly adaptable and relevant regardless of your software choice. For instance, Photoshop digital painting video tutorials have been around since the inception of YouTube, and 90% (if not more) of those tutorials can still be followed even if you choose use Designer/Photo instead.

Yeah, there’s a pretty good chance if you had done a step-by-step tutorial that some people would have complained and said, “Dude, way too slow, speed it up next time!”  :-)

You communicated your workflow very well, I was pleasantly surprised that you even talked about the project brief and showed the sketches you did by hand.

I rather like the fact that two people can achieve similar results in different ways - neither can accuse the other of doing anything wrong, they’re just working in the way that works best for each individually.