You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Eye Candy Partially (???) Working in 1.9.3 Affinity Store release version

Just upgraded to 1.9.3 and Eye Candy (Update: See my reply on what happened)  no longer works. Worked fine in 1.8 and the 1.9 betas including the newest 1.9.4.242. Not only is the preview in EC not working in 1.9.3 release, the final result no longer works. I had been testing it with several 1.9 betas and it has always worked, so disappointed that it stopped working in the 1.9.3 release since I use this plugin frequently. And as I said, it was working fine in 1.8.x before upgrading today to 1.9.3. Not sure why the release version is not working when the betas do. It has been in the past a problem with the MAS versions not working due to sandboxing, etc., so that's why I bought an extra/new copy from the Affinity Store in order to be able to use EC. Settings are the same in both app versions (Metal on), same as tests in past versions. Attached pics show EC preview and final in APh 1.9.3 release and 1.9.4.242b.

Af Store 193 final.jpg

Af Store 193 preview.jpg

Beta 194-242 final.jpg

Beta 194-242 preview.jpg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Aha! Interesting! Playing around with it, I found that in the upgraded 1.9.3 I accidentally created the new test document in CMYK. The results as seen in the pics were that EC failed, whereas in the betas and previous versions (1.8.x) I was creating in RGB.

Works when created in RGB but not in CMYK. Interestingly, I can create the items with the EC effects in RGB, the convert them to CMYK and still export in 300DPI PDF just fine. Apparently just have to create and filter in RGB first. Thus don't know if this is a bug in APh or by design (or a limitation). At least part of the mystery resolved (sort of)! 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

The EC website suggests CMYK should work so it might be something to do with us. 

I think I've exhausted all my email addresses for their free trial over the years so I'll see if we can get another trial and reproduce. If anyone else has experience with this I'd be happy to hear from them.

Thanks. Yes, I can't remember EC not working with CMYK previously since we have produced items for print before and I don't remember having had to do the RGB first. Seems odd. And you're right, I just looked at their web page and it does say, "Eye Candy can handle images in CMYK mode and 16-bits/channel, which are needed for professional print work."

--------------------

iPad Air 2022