You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[SOLVED] HDR Tone Mapping Persona: How to turn mask highlight off on screen to see what's happening under it?

Hi all,

I'm playing around with doing some various exposure HDR with AP and am in the Tone Mapping Persona.

I have a spot (the moon actually) in an image and have outlined it with an elliptical mask....the trouble is, it is marked the mask like a typical quick mask with red...I cannot see under that red to be able to see what the adjustments are doing there.

I've tried hitting the "m" button to see if that would turn the mask highlighting on/off....didn't work.

Any suggestions out there as that I can't find much in the way of documentation or YT videos showing use of the mask on the Tone Mapping Persona....

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

• Staff

Hi @cayenne :)

13 hours ago, cayenne said:

I have a spot (the moon actually) in an image and have outlined it with an elliptical mask....the trouble is, it is marked the mask like a typical quick mask with red...I cannot see under that red to be able to see what the adjustments are doing there.

I've tried hitting the "m" button to see if that would turn the mask highlighting on/off....didn't work.

Any suggestions out there as that I can't find much in the way of documentation or YT videos showing use of the mask on the Tone Mapping Persona....

I can confirm that when using Gradient Overlays, the red highlight should be shown until you change any of the Tone Map settings, for example with all the values set to 0 (default), the red overlay will be visible.

If you then change the Exposure slider (for example) to any other value than 0, you should see the red overlay disappear, allowing you to see the edits made beneath - this should also happen when applying any preset that changes these values also:

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @cayenne :)

I can confirm that when using Gradient Overlays, the red highlight should be shown until you change any of the Tone Map settings, for example with all the values set to 0 (default), the red overlay will be visible.

If you then change the Exposure slider (for example) to any other value than 0, you should see the red overlay disappear, allowing you to see the edits made beneath - this should also happen when applying any preset that changes these values also:

I hope this helps :)

Thank you!!

That's a great help!!

The red quick mask did disappear after I made a change to a slider...not intuitive, but it worked!!

However, I've  run into a new slight problem. The object I"m wanting to work with..is small...the moon in the distance.

The red disappears, but the "marker" for the radial mask tool is there and obscures the moon that I"m wanting to see.  Is there any way to make that disappear too?

Thank you VERY much for your response and help!!

cayenne

Try holding the spacebar down

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

No problem at all, happy to help!

20 hours ago, cayenne said:

The red disappears, but the "marker" for the radial mask tool is there and obscures the moon that I"m wanting to see.  Is there any way to make that disappear too?

As Carl has mentioned above, switching to the View (Hand) tool will hides these gradient 'points' - you can either select the View tool from the left hand toolbar or hold the spacebar to temporarily use the tool :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

THANK YOU!!

OH man, I love Affinity Photo...but man, the dearth of information and documentation out there just kills me when trying to find out little things like this that stump you dead on a workflow.

Thank you both again!!

C

Ps. Hey, is there a way to mark an issue "solved" so that others later might see that when referencing something?

• Staff

We're glad to hear this has answered your questions :D

14 hours ago, cayenne said:

is there a way to mark an issue "solved" so that others later might see that when referencing something?

Not explicitly, however I'll edit the title of the post, so that it is clearer for other users browsing the forums!