You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update notification on startup

Not sure if this is a bug, the software has changed a setting, or I have...

For the last few beta updates and at least the last full version update, the "update available" prompt on the startup splash screen has not appeared when updates available.  I'm on beta 1.9.41048 and full 1.9.2.1035 currently - I've only found out about updates because I searched the forums.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, c_moon said:

Not sure if this is a bug, the software has changed a setting, or I have...

For the last few beta updates and at least the last full version update, the "update available" prompt on the startup splash screen has not appeared when updates available.  I'm on beta 1.9.41048 and full 1.9.2.1035 currently - I've only found out about updates because I searched the forums.

Thanks.

AFAIK the current release version is still 1.9.2.1035, and update messages only appear if there is a newer release version.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• Staff

I can only suggest looking at your firewall settings on both applications, as there is no setting to block updates, but the app doesn't warn if no internet is found or if it's blocked.

The beta is now on 1.9.4.1065 so I suggest that you don't update until you have found the cause, so you can keep checking if you've got it sorted. If you install 1.9.4.1065 you would have to wait for the next beta

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks, Patrick.  As far as I can see, my Bitdefender firewall is giving full permissions to Photo, both beta and full - but I'll keep checking.

In the meantime, The Affinity Photo Help says this :

Software Updates
  • Sets the frequency to which the app will check for any software updates. You can switch off update checking by selecting 'Never'

However, I can't find this in Preferences under Edit where Help says this setting is.  Does this not exist any more?  If it does, perhaps this has been changed somehow...