You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bug with RAW/DNG photos taken from an iPhone

I am unable to use Apple iPhone RAW DNG files (taken from iPhone 12 Pro) in either Affinity Photo (1.9) or also latest beta 1.9.4.242. The DNGs open but they are quite washed out - the same washed out look as though it were film and I were shooting in sLog.

These DNG files open in a variety of other photo editing apps quite nicely, just not in Photo. The only workaround is opening in Mac OS Preview and saving as TIFF. Then it all works. But I would prefer to use RAW.

Please see one of these files attached.

IMG_2655.DNG

• Staff

Hey abarkalo,

What's the RAW engine option set to in the Develop Assistant?

If I use Serif Labs, the DNG is washed out. This is easily remedied by increasing the saturation and contrast slightly.

If I use Apple Core then the DNG doesn't lose its colour but it's a tad darker.

AFAIK Preview/Quick Look use Apple Core to generate the preview from the raw data so I'm not entirely sure why Affinity is showing it slightly different here.

Have you tried changing the settings in the Develop Persona to suit your tastes?

Even if I choose Apple Core it still seems washed out. I can use a curves adjustment and get it back to the starting point but that's a lot of extra work and I would rather like to start from the starting point. Other software such as Photoshop and Pixelmator Pro don't have this issue, just Affinity Photo. But again, as I mentioned before, if I convert to TIFF then I get to the starting point but then I lose the RAW editing at the start.

• Staff

Hey abarkalo,

It's a bit of a catch-22 situation. Some people like a starting point and others like the absolute rawest of the raw to taoilor it to their exact needs.

There is a few settings in the Develop Assistant that can give varied results but it sounds like it is not meeting your requirements.

We do already have a log regarding DNG's looking a bit more washed out so I'll include your report in the existing one. 

• 1 year later...