You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening a DNG file - unable to quit (normally)

I attempted to open a DNG file in the latest 1.9.4 beta which is stuck at "Loading 1 document..." in the top right corner and no progress bar in main window area (bad design). I'm then unable to close the application or cancel the loading process unless I end the process in task manager (bad design). The DNG file (23 MB) opens fine in Designer beta, although it does take a while to develop.

image.png.0c5b01f58a077703dd705c2396e205fd.png

image.png.e6f998117b9b7e7888db0d5f94298a75.png

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

Hi Chris

The attached DNG file has the same issue. Perhaps it's incorrectly formatted. It's from an Akaso action camera.

Are there any plans to improve the user experience when opening a DNG file, such as adding a progress bar and the ability to cancel the operation, similar to Designer?

SINR0018.JPG

SINR0018.DNG

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

@matt.baker On 1.9.2.1035 the file opens within 2 seconds on my average machine and hardware acceleration off.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@matt.baker

I downloaded and opened your file in both the latest release and the latest beta (1065).  No problems in either version.  (I have HWA switched on.)

Seeing that, in your video you used Drag and Drop on your file, I repeated the exercise using that method, having previously used File>Open; again, no problem.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

I too have ran the file through retail and beta and both open it in around 2 seconds.

@matt.baker - can you try doing a reset on the app please?

Affinity Store - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta) and rename 1.0 to 1.1

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

We will do this on the beta as to not reset anything you've imported into the retail (we can reverse this process by renaming the folder back to 1.0)

@emmrecs01 @Chris B Switching off hardware acceleration seems to have done the trick, but not ideal.

I've also verified that re-enabling this results in the Loading 1 document problem.

image.png.8e318dea516137b808621fb68b5d139f.png

@Chris B is there any more information that I can provide which may be of use?

CrPzyCp.jpg

@Chris B forcing an update of the display drivers on my Surface Pro 5 from the Microsoft 09/2020 Surface specific (latest available) to Intel 02/2021 ones has fixed the problem. My comment still stands about the UX though with a progress bar / operation cancellation.

CrPzyCp.jpg

@Gregory St. Laurent

This thread is about the problems a user was experiencing when attempting to open DNG files in APh and so entirely appropriate in the Affinity forums.  

On the face of it, your question should really be addressed to DXO, shouldn't it, or have I completely missed the point?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 hour ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Gregory St. Laurent

This thread is about the problems a user was experiencing when attempting to open DNG files in APh and so entirely appropriate in the Affinity forums.  

On the face of it, your question should really be addressed to DXO, shouldn't it, or have I completely missed the point?

There is an issue with Photo w/DXO PureRAW DNG files (A known issue). It may be tied to the issue that the OP was having. That is the reason I thought I would bring it up. There may be a problem with DNG files in general in Affinity Photo.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

• Staff
23 hours ago, matt.baker said:

@Chris B forcing an update of the display drivers on my Surface Pro 5 from the Microsoft 09/2020 Surface specific (latest available) to Intel 02/2021 ones has fixed the problem. My comment still stands about the UX though with a progress bar / operation cancellation.

Fantastic. I just tried on my Surface that hasn't been updated for about a year 😬 and got a similar result. However it did eventually open after about... I lost count/got distracted :P 

• Staff

There are indeed a few DNG issues logged and unresolved - I did check this yesterday but nothing seemed similar. Also, because others were not able to reproduce, it would normally be assumed drivers are at fault.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.