You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo hangs for multipel seconds / unable to perform certain activities

Hi,

with beta 1065, Photo always starts to freeze / hang at certain activities.

E.g. i try to move the spread origin by mouse, starting in the upper left corner, and dragging it to position 1080 (or 1080,5).

I need to really zoom in, 150% - 1000%, to be able to exactly pin it to .0 or .5 positions.

Photo now frequently freezes after starting this drag. It then a few seconds before getting responsive again.

Task manger shows ~15-18% GPU utilization.

Unfortunately, even if it awakes, it is not always possible to continue the drag move, meaning starting again.

image.thumb.png.a272735a04ed416f520cb8b8975a7f3f.png

image.png

wheel hub 2.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The yellow highlighting makes me suspect you have Snap To Object Geometry enabled in the Snapping Manager and that is overtaxing your computer when you come into close proximity to so many potential snapping targets. If that is enabled, try with it disabled.

50 minutes ago, anon2 said:

The yellow highlighting makes me suspect you have Snap To Object Geometry enabled in the Snapping Manager and that is overtaxing your computer when you come into close proximity to so many potential snapping targets. If that is enabled, try with it disabled.

Yeah disabling snapping solved this. It would be great to have the snapping settings as a tool panel permanently visible, as you constantly need to switch settings. Of course, you can leave the dialog open, but it then blocks a lot of pixel estate.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

I need to really zoom in, 150% - 1000%, to be able to exactly pin it to .0 or .5 positions.

Why not place a temporary rectangle at that location using the transform panel then it is a piece of cake to to snap the origin to that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Why not place a temporary rectangle at that location using the transform panel then it is a piece of cake to to snap the origin to that.

There already was an ellipse centred on the location. The problem was the multitude of "object geometry snap" targets being in range of the pointer when the pointer got close to the centre.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Because besides 360 crossing lines, 2 circles, there are already 2 rulers crossing directly to the location where i want to fix the spread origin.

And yes, i would prefer to use the grid manager to set the spread origin, but because of the already logged bug (afp-4485) it does not to allow to set any position >400px.

6 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Because besides 360 crossing lines, 2 circles, there are already 2 rulers crossing directly to the location where i want to fix the spread origin.

With one object selected (the temporary rectangle (used only for snapping the origin to and immediately deleted after serving its purpose)) it is extremely easy to do so.

Maybe I am missing something but I truly don't understand why you don't turn off the 360 crossing lines which serve to confuse the hell out of the snapping function. Then place the temp rectangle and snap the origin to it, delete the temp rectangle and turn on the 360 crossing lines. Probably quicker to do than to read this post.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

With one object selected (the temporary rectangle (used only for snapping the origin to and immediately deleted after serving its purpose)) it is extremely easy to do so.

Maybe I am missing something but I truly don't understand why you don't turn off the 360 crossing lines which serve to confuse the hell out of the snapping function. Then place the temp rectangle and snap the origin to it, delete the temp rectangle and turn on the 360 crossing lines. Probably quicker to do than to read this post.

Hi Old Bruce,

your advise is very welcome in general (i know this method very well and use it often). But in this specific case, it ignores that anon2 provided a very specific solution before your post.

On top, better options are already present in the document, making your device redundant once again:

1. Maybe barely visible in the screenshot, there are 2 rulers intentionally placed to mark the spot where i wanted to move the spread origin. So there is no need to add extra helper objects.
  2. Adding more helper objects would not help in this specific case, where too many objects caused the problem.

2 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

On top, better options are already present in the document, ...

Okay, fine. Glad you got a method which works in this case, and probably others.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.