You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing becomes laggy over time

Hi there,

I have just bought a Gaomon M10K Pro tablet, and have found it excellent and lag to be borderline imperceptible during extended sessions in MacOS Catalina and other apps, including Sketch, Autodesk Sketchbook, Aseprite, and more.

However, in Affinity Photo things start out well but after a short period it gets very laggy. It seems that after about 30 strokes in a 4K canvas things go from very smooth to the brush chasing the pointer after a second or more.

I also noticed that a 10,000 pixel square canvas is unusable from a fresh document. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro 15” with i9 and 32GB RAM.

I’ve seen others post about lag, but not this gradual increase and also it seems the first response is often “I assume you are on Windows” - seeing as I’m on MacOS Catalina, is there any other advice?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @Chris296 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Many thanks for the information provided, the first thing we need to determine is whether the app is running slow regardless of the drawing tablet.

Can you please try following the same steps with a new document, but this time use the mouse and not your drawing tablet. Does the app still slow after a certain number of strokes are drawn?

Please also navigate to Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

The above problem seems to effect long continuous strokes for me, but has gradually got better and better over the years - although Designer still locks up for me, can't figure out if its after aprox 5 minutes or it's based on a certain number of strokes and only seems to happen with a proper vector brush using pressure to vary the stroke width, reported many moons ago. If only we could get somewhere near MISCHIEF which is buttery smooth was based on some unorthodox vector engine and showed so much promise, but bought by some big company and killed off (like Freehand).

I find the only way to do variable width vector work in Designer (without locking up) is to use pixel persona or in pub use photo persona and a simple pressure sensitive raster brush, then export as PNG and use either ImageVectorizer or Vectorize apps to convert to vector and paste back into Designer, although I may need to reduce nodes either manually or via Illustrator CS5 via simplify path - bit of a workaround but works for me - although with every update I always have a go to see if the vector brushes will behave 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

54 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

with a proper vector brush using pressure

That's causing the same trouble here, too. In both, Designer and Photo.

OS: Windows 10, tablet is HUION NEW 1060PLUS with 8k levels of pressure sensitivity. System and all drivers are up-to-date.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Hi all, thanks for replies and sorry for my late reply!

My Affinity Photo trial has just run out (the timing!) but I have been trying Affinity Designer and both in vector and pixel mode it’s been flawless over an hour-plus session, indeed using pressure/width changes.  It does seem that issues are intermittent judging by some above responses, but hopefully things continually improve.

• 8 months later...