You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing a fixed lengh line in Affinity Designer

Is it possible to draw a line with a fixed length?  I want to draw a line of 53mm in length, then another of (say) 65mm in length.

I am using the pen tool, and have seen the "dimension" indicators as the line is drawn, but they vanish very quickly. 

I have searched for tutorials on the subject, but they all say, "click the pen tool where you want to start and again to finish the line". Not much help at all.

I use a CAD programme at the moment, but it cannot deal with gradients and transferring the lines from CAD to Designer has proved problematical.

20 minutes ago, Searcher1851 said:

Is it possible to draw a line with a fixed length?  I want to draw a line of 53mm in length, then another of (say) 65mm in length.

Yes it is possible so long as the lines are straight lines, no curve in it. There is a single line function for the pen tool. Then you have to use the move tool and the Transform panel to select the lines you drew and check / correct the lengths in the Transform panel.

894021399_ScreenShot2021-05-09at10_45_04AM.png.96d7521cf3e0738fcfed51ff53bfa180.png

1430239535_ScreenShot2021-05-09at10_46_05AM.png.c36fc87dd04cea7bdb64ac96b156b920.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Yes it is possible so long as the lines are straight lines, no curve in it. There is a single line function for the pen tool. Then you have to use the move tool and the Transform panel to select the lines you drew and check / correct the lengths in the Transform panel.

894021399_ScreenShot2021-05-09at10_45_04AM.png.96d7521cf3e0738fcfed51ff53bfa180.png

1430239535_ScreenShot2021-05-09at10_46_05AM.png.c36fc87dd04cea7bdb64ac96b156b920.png

Thank you, that works reasonably well.

I seem to have messed up using the "quote" button again, eventually I will understand how the forum works. 

31 minutes ago, BofG said:

You have to draw a line (of any length) first, then in the bottom right of the screen you can type in the actual desired length.

Thank you, I guess you are also referring to the Transform tool as suggested by Old Bruce.