You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Borderless Printing Problem in v. 1.9.2

Created a Publisher file of scans of some of my daughter's artwork so that we could print 4 x A6 sized cards to an A4 sheet of fine art paper on my Epson Stylus Photo 1400 inkjet. The margins on the A4 master are set such that on selecting the borderless printing option in the Epson printer driver, the printed images 'just' overlap the edges of the sheet. Have used the 'final' version of this file several times in March this year, without problems. However, came to print some more cards recently (having allowed Publisher to upgrade to v. 1.9.2) and found that the whole A4 image was shifted 3mm towards the top of the page and 3mm to the left-hand side. This created a 3mm white (unprinted) margin at the bottom of the page and the loss of part of the left side images at the edge of the page (there is just white space on the right-hand side of these images so that the expected 'white' border at the right-hand edge of the paper will not show, though a cutting marker line has appeared).

Since I knew that the only thing that had changed was the upgrade to v.1.9.2, I uninstalled that version and replaced it with v.1.9.0.932 from the website (I could not remember when v.1.9.1 has been installed) and tried borderless printing again of the same file. This printed as previously, without the shift in the image and the introduction of unwanted white margins. Compare the two scans of the printed output that are attached. I now feel that I cannot allow Publisher to upgrade until this is rectified.

The Publisher file that I have provided has been reduced to just 1 page (for commercial reasons) by just deleting the remaining pages from a copy of the original 'final' file.

Page 7 Borderless Print (v.1.9.0).jpg

Page 7 Borderless Print (v.1.9.2).jpg

4xA6 Notecards (A4) - Tree Lithographs (1 page).afpub

Hello,

this is a known bug and under investigation by the devs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Well its good to know that it has been identified as a known problem and is being investigated. It also appears to be independent of the printer drivers since a Canon and an Epson user (with a more recent printer than mine) have confirmed they are seeing the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was being patient and hoping this issue would be resolved in the new version. I am using an epson EP-808AB. When I try to print from Publisher there is a white space on the right and the bottom of the page. My solution has been to export to pdf and print from that. It works but it should be an unnecessary step.

Screenshot 2021-08-06 070154.png

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, deadhippo said:

Another update without fixing this issue. That's disappointing. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

It is now 17 months since I initially reported this printing fault. I am stuck with using version 1.9 for my Windows 10 desktop and unable to take advantage of the speed improvements in version 1.10. Whilst I understand that development is both time-consuming and costly, and that there may be many other pressing issues to be dealt with, I question the lack of urgency being given to this specific problem – the cause of which appears to have been identified over a year ago!

Is it possible for me to install version 1.10 alongside version 1.9, so that I can use the former for daily work (and take advantage of new features) and just use the latter (older version) for borderless printing only? Perhaps the PDF workaround would be better, though I have not tried that and I'm not quite sure how I would use that with a paper-specific colour profile (I mainly use borderless printing for greetings cards)?

16 minutes ago, IRO said:

It is now 17 months since I initially reported this printing fault. I am stuck with using version 1.9 for my Windows 10 desktop and unable to take advantage of the speed improvements in version 1.10

It was reported in the thread I linked to just above that the issue was to be resolved in 1.10.2. 

Have you tried 1.10.5 to see if you still have the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @IRO, @walt.farrell,

i can also report, that this issue IS NOT fixed as it seems for some others - including me.

I still have same issue although i got every possible update from publisher and also for my printer.
it did not happen some versions ago, but even with most actual verson it is NOT FIXED.
Can we have the attention of some devs here on this maybe?

I am not the only one as it seems.

Thank you.

Sorry not to have picked up that this problem was reported as being fixed in other threads!

Yesterday, I installed version 1.10.5 of Publisher over the version that I had found to be working (1.9.2). I have tested it using the files that were originally showing the shift towards the top and left side of the page and I conclude that this is substantially fixed for me, although the behaviour on my printer is now slightly different to what was originally being printed correctly as borderless. My printer is fairly elderly (Epson Stylus Photo 1400) and there have been no driver updates for several years, so that aspect is unchanged. I measured the size of the paper used for my tests and it proved to be exactly A4 dimensions (21.0cm x 29.7cm).

My observation is that the Borderless setting is perhaps not expanding the print area quite as much as originally, and that the degree of expansion is now slightly less horizontally compared to vertically in a Portrait oriented print. The white space at top and bottom is less than 0.5mm, and the space on the left is 1mm and the right 2mm. Clearly, I can allow for this by slightly decreasing the 4mm margins in the original document so that I get actual borderless printing. I have to emphasise that although there is the option to change the Borderless Expansion between 'Min', 'Mid', or 'Max' in my printer driver, I have used 'Max' – as was the case with the original prints.

I would like to emphasise to the Developers that although this change can be accommodated by tweeking, it is an inconvenience to have to change a file that was printing correctly some time ago. I hope that the current printing behaviour will remain fixed as it can become tedious if something does not print correctly compared to previously. My apologies if this seems harsh; I have no appreciation of the complexities of software development, but it does throw up questions about reliability. I am generally very pleased with Affinity software.

I am sorry that Christian79 is still having problems, but the important thing for me is that the printing offset has been eliminated.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the same issue with Affinity Publisher V2. 

Tried everything and still the problem of 3mm shift to left and top is there. My printer is Epson 8500 and trying to print bordeless from affinity v2 and still the white non printing area appears. 

Can anyone from affinity fix this issue