You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blend mode affecting layers outside of Group (all software)

I am using Affinity Publisher and also the other two programs within it. When I put a texture layer with a multiply blendmode inside of a group, for some reason it is also affecting all the layers beneath it that aren't in that group. The group blendmode is set to Transfer. 

I am not familiar with a blend mode of Transfer in the Affinity applications. There is a Passhhrough, if you mean that one.

Can you give us a screenshot including the Layers panel with the group expanded?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. That should help someone figure it out, but I'm afraid I'm out of ideas for now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, TimoCreations said:

Any input is much appreciated.

Good day, I am simply responding to provide "input" as you mentioned. I am not adept in blend modes. 

But from my limited experience with design software, it appears that similar apps (i.e. Photoshop CS4) behaves the same way.

I think in the case referred to above, it appears that the Passthrough/Transfer blend setting in the group enables the Blend mode in that group  to pass through or transfer to the other layers or groups below it, however if the group blend mode is set to Normal, the blend mode chosen on the layers in that group will only apply to the selected group.

Hope someone else can provide additional input. 

Hello jaedee, thanks for the input. Though, the passthrough blend mode works differently in Affinity. With the passthrough blend mode, the group has no specific blend mode on its own and that's always worked for me before. When I put the blend mode of the group to normal, then the texture layer coveres the whole screen and it ignores the multiply blend mode of the layer completely. 

15 hours ago, jaedee said:

Good day, I am simply responding to provide "input" as you mentioned. I am not adept in blend modes. 

But from my limited experience with design software, it appears that similar apps (i.e. Photoshop CS4) behaves the same way.

I think in the case referred to above, it appears that the Passthrough/Transfer blend setting in the group enables the Blend mode in that group  to pass through or transfer to the other layers or groups below it, however if the group blend mode is set to Normal, the blend mode chosen on the layers in that group will only apply to the selected group.

Hope someone else can provide additional input. 

You are correct. Passthrough blend mode means the Group should simply help to organise objects without influencing the way its contents blend with the scene underneath the Group. Affinity's Passthrough does behave in that way as long as there is not a mixture of adjustment/filter and non-adjustment/filter objects inside the group. When there is such a mixture, Affinity invents its own rules and breaks compatibility with other apps such as Photoshop and a workaround is required to make Affinity behave sensibly.

• Staff

Hi @TimoCreations,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

As mentioned above, Passthrough blend mode and groups in Affinity do work slightly differently to other creative apps, which may explain some of the confusion surrounding this currently.

The easiest way for us to demonstrate the best solution would be with a copy of your .afpub file - can you please upload this to your reply here for us?
If you wish to upload the file privately, you can do so through the link below -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8LbbMuZ4ajnwveVOyzck

Should you choose to upload to the Dropbox link, please post here to let us know once the file has been uploaded, many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @TimoCreations,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

As mentioned above, Passthrough blend mode and groups in Affinity do work slightly differently to other creative apps, which may explain some of the confusion surrounding this currently.

The easiest way for us to demonstrate the best solution would be with a copy of your .afpub file - can you please upload this to your reply here for us?
If you wish to upload the file privately, you can do so through the link below -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8LbbMuZ4ajnwveVOyzck

Should you choose to upload to the Dropbox link, please post here to let us know once the file has been uploaded, many thanks in advance :)

Hello, thanks a lot for the response! I have uploaded the file to the dropbox link.

• Staff

Many thanks for the document!

As other users have confirmed above, this is not a bug in the Affinity app, when grouping layers together they will still be applied to other layers beneath it, hence why this texture layer is also affecting the background etc.

If you wish to selectively apply this texture to the group layer only, then I recommend duplicating the group and then applying this as a clipped mask to the texture layer, as shown below -

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for the document!

As other users have confirmed above, this is not a bug in the Affinity app, when grouping layers together they will still be applied to other layers beneath it, hence why this texture layer is also affecting the background etc.

If you wish to selectively apply this texture to the group layer only, then I recommend duplicating the group and then applying this as a clipped mask to the texture layer, as shown below -

I hope this clears things up :)

Thank you so much! This should fix my problem.

The only problem I have with this, though, is that any changes I make to the boat group will not automatically be applied to the clipping mask (if I place stuff outside the mask or change the form). This solution should work for this project, but I'm very open to finding a solution to not having to re-apply the mask, whether though an idea or through a future update.

But again, many thanks.

58 minutes ago, TimoCreations said:

I figured out a solution!

Yes, you can use symbols – or linked layers in Photo – as a "remote control". Via Photo's Links panel you can actually easily enable and disable Symbol attributes that should or should not sync. (You can achieve similar results by temporarily disabling the "Sync" button in the Symbols panel, but the Links panel gives you immediate control.) The great thing with the Affinity ecosystem is that you can seamlessly switch an open document between Designer and Photo (and Publisher, of course) on the fly.

Here's an example I posted a few weeks ago in another thread:

Another similar example screencast from yet another recent thread:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Yes, you can use symbols – or linked layers in Photo – as a "remote control". Via Photo's Links panel you can actually easily enable and disable Symbol attributes that should or should not sync. (You can achieve similar results by temporarily disabling the "Sync" button in the Symbols panel, but the Links panel gives you immediate control.) The great thing with the Affinity ecosystem is that you can seamlessly switch an open document between Designer and Photo (and Publisher, of course) on the fly.

Here's an example I posted a few weeks ago in another thread:

Another similar example screencast from yet another recent thread:

That Links panel is so cool! Thanks for the information!