You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setup fails on version 1.9.2 update

I'm currently running Affinity Photo version 1.9.1.979 and see there is am update to 1.9.2.1035  When trying to update it on my 64 bit Windows 10 (version 20H2) machine either as an administrator, or not, and after a clean boot, or not, I get the message 'Setup failed'.  The download file size is 528MB with digital signatures of sha1 and sha256.

I have 16GB RAM installed.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Martin

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The SetupUI.log file may shed some light on the problem. This FAQ article will tell you where to find it:

Or perhaps one of the other suggestions in this FAQ article:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Fred Bassett said:

I have uninstalled AP using the MS Uninstall Troubleshooter to no avail.  I have attached my SetupUI.log file for further information.

That log file indicates there's another installation in progress.

Please restart Windows and try again. It might also help to right-click on the installer and choose Run as Administrator when you run it again.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Interesting. It's showing the same problem. If you look at it you'll see, for example, a list of "pending rename operations" which usually indicate an install was running, and was waiting for a reboot to finish up. And it still shows the 1618 error.

Not sure why that would happen. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:

MSI Error 1618: 'Another installation is already in progress' during installation/uninstallation

PROBLEM

The following error is encountered either during installation/removal, in the Product's Installation Log file, or in Window's Event Logs:
"Error 1618: 'Another installation is already in progress"

SOLUTION

This Error indicates that the Windows Installer Service is currently being utilized for another installation or update at this time. Alongside other program's Installations, Windows Updates can also occupy the Windows Installer service and will thus need to complete prior to running another installation.

However, if a previous installation was unsuccessful and did not close properly, you can end the Windows Installer Process manually:
  1. Reboot the computer and try installing again
  2. If the error returns, attempt to find any applications currently installing and close them
  3. If unable to find an application running updates, open Task Manager and navigate to the "Processes" tab
  4. Select "Show processes from all users" if it is not already.
  5. Locate and end any "MSIExec.exe" entries you see.
After these steps, attempt the installation once more.

CAUSE

The Windows Installer process can only run one installation at a time. Complete the other installation or wait a few minutes for the background installation taking place completes.

Probably due to ...

CheckPendingFileRenameOperations
+        PendingFileRenameOperations
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice_tmp.exe
+            
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\1.3.141.63
+            
+            \??\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\CD897A32-AB61-11EB-9CD6-40B89A6C313E
+          
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\1.3.415.1
+            
+            \??\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\DropboxUpdateSetup_1.3.459.1.exe418f9ae7
+            
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\tobedeleted\rep33b09b29-24d9-42c1-a9d7-176a781e8679
+            
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\tobedeleted\rep33b09b29-24d9-42c1-a9d7-176a781e8679
+            
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\tobedeleted\
+            
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice_tmp.exe
+            
+            \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\tobedeleted\rep4b6cc39e-b722-408b-b11f-ad5bd38932fa
+            
+            
+        PendingFileRenameOperations2

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks v_kyr for your response.

In fact I have now just been able to install AP.  I disabled my Kaspersky Internet Security application and tried again.  Lo and behold the installation went smoothly.  I had re-subscribed to Kaspersky about four days ago so didn't expect that to be an issue as it had not stopped me upgrading AP before.

Thanks again Walt and v_kyr.

Regards

Martin

Hello.

I tried to install on Windows 10 the Publisher *.exe file (version 1.9.2)- This message appears:

"Failed to start Setup. Please contact Technical Support."

Want to start working with Publisher asap.

What can I do?

• Staff

Hi @SusanneT,

Welcome to the Affinity forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble here!

Can you please try the following:

• Restart your PC
  • Right-click on the downloaded .EXE and select Run as Administrator

If this does not work, then please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created folder, then upload SetupUI.log to your reply here.

I'd also like to check your permissions for your temporary folder within App Data. Please reopen Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and paste the following:

%LocalAppData%

In the folder than opens, locate the folder named Temp and right-click this folder and select Properties.
Within the Properties dialog select the Security tab then select Edit and ensure that 'Everyone' is selected in the list. Can you please provide a screenshot of the settings here for me? This should look similar to the below - 

image.png

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Many thanks for all the info provided!

I can confirm your SetupUI.log file shows the following error -

"MsiOperation result: 1601"

This error indicates that your computer cannot currently connect to the Windows Installer service, please see the following link for resolution steps on the Microsoft forums -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/error-1601-windows-installer-is-not-accessible/08dce679-496d-43f4-a4b5-bb467800bb90 

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)