You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delay opening Photo using Win 10

Hey guys, first post here.

Been using Affinity Photo for a while now, and have 1.9.2 installed currently. Opening the app now takes in the region of 30 seconds which is unacceptable. It used to be instant. I've hardware acceleration enabled (Nvidia 280 Super) and it's running on a high spec laptop with 32GB ram. Any ideas? I've done some research here, and I've seen the problem mentioned before but usually on a mac and no obvious fix forthcoming.

Hi, 

as you are the first (and only) to report this delay on windows, are you able to support the investigation into the issue?

It smells like waiting for an timeout (certificate check), anti-malware check, or other issues related to network / security settings in your system (outside Affinity)

If yes, please download the Microsoft Sysinternals Suite.

Then, use tools like tcpview and procmon / process explorer.

• Find if any network connection are initiated by the process (update checks)
  • Check if anti-malware causes delay (MS defender, …)
  • Check if files on a slow HDD are accessed, which needs to spin-up
  • Record a complete log of the affinity app during the startup with procmon
  • close all other apps helps to reduce distractions in the logs

Which exact affinity version are you using, from Affinity or Microsoft Store?

• Screenshot of about dialog
  • screenshot of benchmark result
  • screenshot of Edit>Preferences>Performance

Can you try if the latest beta 1.9.4.1048 works better?

Have you imported lots of assets?

Lots of Fonts?

Special Hardware used by Affinity (pen tablets, mouse)

Any filtering used on your internet connection (on PC, DSL/Wifi router, PI-hole, company proxy, …)?

using a VPN software?

Here are some samples showing how Photo starts on my high-spec PC in about 8 seconds:

image.thumb.png.faabdd7cc212f72fd22c85af840d65e5.png

image.thumb.png.83258b1c4596df0cda4c17d678784930.png

Filter used:

image.png.adcea24b11956eef451bb52cb1ac6af5.png

MsDefender working:

image.thumb.png.e3a174230f1ec74ecde64afdde599235.png

tcpview shows some network access to AWS

image.thumb.png.5d5e41a5f296119c05a0dceed542ac61.png

Edited by NotMyFault
added images

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

You might try disabling Hardware Acceleration in your Affinity Preferences.

Due to driver issues with some GPUs using Hardware Acceleration can slow things down, rather than speeding them up.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

What is "Bonjour Service" exactly?

"Bonjour Service" is a service that you may come across in the Task Manager as the process "mDSNResponder.exe". Bonjour is therefore not a separate program, but just a service that is automatically installed with some programs. These programs include, for example, iTunes and Quicktime from Apple, but also the Adobe Creative Suite. Because of this, you cannot prevent the service from being installed in the first place. But you can simply uninstall it again. Uninstalling it makes perfect sense, as Bonjour can lead to complications and is considered to be vulnerable to security.

Bonjour is actually intended to enable certain devices to find each other on the network in order to share certain files, such as music, with each other. Under Windows, this service is only useful if you want to stream files via iTunes from another computer. As a rule, Bonjour can be safely uninstalled.

How can I get rid of Bonjour?

Note: You can uninstall Bonjour this way, but in most cases the service will be reinstalled when updating or reinstalling the programs mentioned above.

Quick guide: how can I get rid of Bonjour?

1. Press the [Windows] + [R] keys and enter "appwiz.cpl".
  2. Now search for "Bonjour" in the program overview and select "Uninstall".
  3. You may have to confirm the uninstallation or enter administrator data. Usually these correspond to the login data for your computer. After a short wait, you have successfully uninstalled the service.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I've removed Bonjour. I have itunes installed. No luck. I would say I use Lightroom almost daily, but that's the only major Adobe product I have installed

I'm going to try the new beta once I've found it.

As far as software installations recently there has been an update to the Dragon center which is a MSI app used for controlling the fans etc on my laptop, and an update to Windows 10. But it has been working fine after the installation of these, so I've ruled them out.

2 hours ago, pdstanbridge said:

Thanks for the replies. Appreciated. Okay I tried the obvious thing first and disabled the hardware acceleration which made no difference. I then installed those tools and I have some sort of time out if I'm reading it correctly

Hi,

can you check in the procmon log (filter to Photo, the first in my filter list has to be activated), based on the timestamps, if there are activities which take too many seconds?

E.g. Font Loading, Driver loading,

The TcpView snip does not show Photo at all. Please take a snapshot while Photo is starting, or stop screen updates in TcpView once you see connections there.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Okay i did attempt the above but I couldn't really get it to work properly. Not helped with a 5 year old running around me granted :D

However, I appear to have resolved it. There is a piece of software installed by itunes? or something anyway, I can't even see what it's called but it appears to be conflicting. When I remove the software in the task bar Photo opens perfectly. I need to do some more research, but it looks to be that.