You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shape with opacity -> PDF export -> text is more bold

4 hours ago, Holz said:

I found a strange behavior on PDF export: If you have a shape on a page, that has an opacity from 0-99%, than becomes the text more bold in the PDF (i guess only in PDF, i tried PNG and there was no problem).

Is this a bug? Is there a way to prevent this?

Shape-with-opacity.jpg

Shape-with-opacity.pdf 58.85 kB · 0 downloads

4 hours ago, Holz said:

I found a strange behavior on PDF export: If you have a shape on a page, that has an opacity from 0-99%, than becomes the text more bold in the PDF (i guess only in PDF, i tried PNG and there was no problem).

Is this a bug? Is there a way to prevent this?

Shape-with-opacity.jpg

Shape-with-opacity.pdf 58.85 kB · 0 downloads

Can you share your afpub (Affinity Publisher) you have created above file here... instead of PDF file.

8 hours ago, Holz said:

If you have a shape on a page, that has an opacity from 0-99%, than becomes the text more bold in the PDF (i guess only in PDF, i tried PNG and there was no problem).

This appears to be an illusion caused by the different aliasing on the text vs. the curves in your particular PDF reader at that size.

At larger sizes on a HiDPI screen they look the same.

HiDPI-at-100pct.thumb.png.ba5459b45fe73708b40b14ecf2392c7b.png

Thank you very much for your answers, the explanation and thus solving my mystery!

I use a 4k monitor and the adobe reader. I opened my sample PDF i another app (PDFXEdit9) and here the display is the same, indeed.

"This appears to be an illusion caused by the different aliasing on the text vs. the curves" - Learned something again. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Holz said:

adobe reader

Adobe Reader has a default setting which will darken thin lines. That setting may be why the curves are being darkened. I cannot remember the setting at the moment, but it has been discussed here in the forum before (also about odd visual results). You may want to find that setting and turn it off.

My image above is from PDF-XChange Editor (which does not do this).

19 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Adobe Reader has a default setting which will darken thin lines.

In Adobe Reader (and probably also Acrobat) there is an ‘Enhance thin lines’ option, but I’ve never known it to have a visible effect on text characters other than sans-serif capital ‘i’ and lowercase ‘L’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Holz said:

But if you open the PDF in Affinity, than all the text (on both sites) are actually text and not curves. Or did i miss something?

The imported curves "text" is not text, it is still curves. The only way to convert it to actual text is by using OCR.

9 hours ago, Holz said:

but if you open my PDF-file in AP, then you can see it is text, and you can edit it normally.

I think I misunderstood (mis-read) your original post. I thought the text was now a "shape" as it had been converted.
But upon re-reading your original post you are just saying the other shape is affecting the display of the text (which is still text).
Still, I do not see any display issue with the text - as shown in my image above.
So I am not sure what the issue is now.

8 hours ago, Holz said:

Well the issue is, that if you use the Adobe Reader, than the font looks more bold. To see it, maybe you need a WQHD or 4K Monitor?

The problem is Adobe reader.
Being 100%-Adobe-Free - I did not test Reader, but I did test the following at 3840x2400:

1. Firefox browser
  2. Foxit PantomPDF editor
  3. Foxit reader
  4. Infix PDF Editor
  5. Master PDF editor
  6. Nitro Pro editor
  7. PDF-XChange Editor
  8. Vivaldi browser (chromium)

In all of these both pages look the same.
Made screenshots if you want to see.

The problem is Adobe Reader.