You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constant crashing (not reproducable-ish), but no crash report generated

Hello, I am working on Win 10 on the recent version (1.9.2).

I am converting a rgb file to a cmyk file right now and it's permanentely crashing (sometimes seconds after starting the files, sometimes after minutes).

Informations:

- the file that was sent to me was a .ai-file

- I converted it to cmyk and saved it as .afdesign

- I reference the original rgb-version

- I saved the original rgb-version as .afdesign and only use that one

- I open both in AD. I have the cmyk-working file embedded in AD, while I seperated the rgb-one and placed both windows side-by-side for easy comparison

- the crashes happen when I switch windows, click on layers, click on color swatches, move sliders, etc. I can't pin point any crash triggers.

- I can't share the file, since it's contract work

- I couldn't reproduce it on new files or other files (tested with two .afdesign-files)

- The crash happens with OpenCL enabled and disabled

- The crash happens with updated craphics drivers

- The crash happens with increased memory, too

The real issue is, that the crash reports folder @ appdata/affinity/designer/1.0 is empty. There are zero chrash reports and I couldn't find a setting in the preferences.

Any help? Work takes insanely long and I lose a lot of progress even though I save constantly. It's hard to get a workflow going when I spend half the time reopening and rearranging the files.

My first think is to deactivate the hardware acceleration under Edit -> Preferences -> Performance.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 minutes ago, Komatös said:

My first think is to deactivate the hardware acceleration under Edit -> Preferences -> Performance.

57 minutes ago, Solanaar said:

- The crash happens with OpenCL enabled and disabled

I had it disabled previously, I actually turned it on to try, if it crashes less. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I will disable it again and hope it will at least stop crashing every 3 clicks (as it does right now).

Yes sorry, my trigger finger was faster than i've read whole text. 

Maybe it's because of an embedded font. Without seeing the file, it is difficult to find the error. 

A Serif staff member could send you a private link to upload. But, since it's a contract, it's unlikely.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

If an Affinity program quits without generating an error report, 98.% of the time it is a background application, driver or system component that triggers this.
Do you perhaps have a third party antivirus solution running?

10 minutes ago, Komatös said:

If an Affinity program quits without generating an error report, 98.% of the time it is a background application, driver or system component that triggers this.
Do you perhaps have a third party antivirus solution running?

That's some great advice! I don't. I use Windows Security, but I do have a few other apps running in the background. I will try to close as many as possible, Though it feels weird, how consistent the crashes are.

Maybe there is usable information in the log.txt
You can find this under %appdata%\afinity\designer\1.0

Here are programmes that are known to cause errors: 

Edited by Komatös

I looked through the list, but have none of the apps, or, in the case of the nvidia solution, I don't have the mentioned option.

I attached the log.txt to this reply. I tried working after a restart with all the apps disabled, sadly, it still keeps crashing :(

Log.txt

Unfortunately, the log file also shows nothing unusual. 

And since Designer only crashes when you work with the Illustrator file, the error can only be in this file.

The only thing I can think of now is to open the file with another programme.Please install Inkscape (https://inkscape.org). 

I did some testing on my partners pc and voilá: zero crashes. So this narrows it down a lot. It has to be my machine, either hardware, drivers or some software running in the background. But this means it doesn't belong here anymore, since it probably isn't related to AD... Which sucks for me, but at least the software isn't at fault. I also noticed my bios is massively outdated (version dates back 3 years), so I will check that first and hope it'll fix it. Thanks so much for your help, @Komatös. Really appreciate it!!!

You are welcome! Thanks for the feedback.

@GabeI attached a CPU-Z log to this reply. Here is a summary, if the file can't be opened:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WIFI (Bios is Version F3)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 8-Core @3.2GHz
  • Memory: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 3.2GHz
  • Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

PC CPU-Z Log.txt

Has the firmware of the NVME SSD ever been updated? And in the course of this also the drivers?

On 5/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, Komatös said:

Has the firmware of the NVME SSD ever been updated? And in the course of this also the drivers?

Sorry for the late reply, had 2 busy work days. Actually no, I didn't even know SSDs can be updated. I will look into that! Thanks

Edit 1: I had the most recent firmware, and updated the nvme ssd driver. I also went ahead and updated my chipset driver and bios, but sadly it still crashes on my machine, still no reports

Edit 2: I downloaded the 1.9.4 beta cause I'm desperate and so far no crashes. I will report soon if any crashes happen with the beta