You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confused by adding assets?

I can't add an asset to a layer. Asset disappears. I have to set the asset layer to overlay, luminosity, etc – then drag another layer to the asset as a child. Am I doing this right?

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 4.20.55 PM.png

In the image above which layer is the asset?

An asset is simply a designed single element or a group of elements made easily repeatable, they are no different to any other element.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The layer that says prism asset 07 is the asset. It is at the top of the selected stack. And seems to have turned my star layer into a mask. I tried dragging the prism into the star. The star shape remained but the star fill and fx disappeared

• Staff

Hi @kat,

On 5/8/2021 at 7:32 PM, kat said:

And seems to have turned my star layer into a mask

The star has been clipped to the Asset/image layer, meaning the image will only be visible within the stars bounds. If you select the star layer from the layers studio and then click and drag this so it is no longer nested with the Asset/image layer then you should find the full Asset/image is visible :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

27 minutes ago, Dan C said:

The star has been clipped to the Asset/image layer, meaning the image will only be visible within the stars bounds.

Strictly speaking, it’s the other way around. The crop icon on the star’s thumbnail tells us that the asset image is cropped to (i.e. masked by) the star shape.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think I need to watch a good tutorial on layer clipping. I've been doing it for years and still have a hard time wrapping my head around this one.

Also what is the difference between dragging a layer to another layer next to the thumbnail and dragging below the thumbnail?
Easy to drag a layer next to a thumbnail, but dragging below rarely works.
Thanks for your help and patience.

9 minutes ago, kat said:

I think I need to watch a good tutorial on layer clipping. I've been doing it for years and still have a hard time wrapping my head around this one.

Try this one:

10 minutes ago, kat said:

Also what is the difference between dragging a layer to another layer next to the thumbnail and dragging below the thumbnail?

The above video should make that quite clear, but please don’t hesitate to post back if further clarification is needed!

16 minutes ago, kat said:

Easy to drag a layer next to a thumbnail, but dragging below rarely works.

Dropping a dragged layer either next to or directly on top of a thumbnail achieves masking/cropping. Dropping it below the thumbnail puts it below the target layer, so no masking or clipping occurs.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Try this one:

The above video should make that quite clear, but please don’t hesitate to post back if further clarification is needed!

Dropping a dragged layer either next to or directly on top of a thumbnail achieves masking/cropping. Dropping it below the thumbnail puts it below the target layer, so no masking or clipping occurs.

Perfect!  James is one of my fav teachers. I watched this before several times. Repeat, repeat, repeat. James said dragging top layer onto the text area puts it below. I have 2 macros, 1 for a mask layer and 1 for an hsl layer because clicking a mask puts the mask above the layer rather than into the layer.

1 hour ago, kat said:

Perfect!  James is one of my fav teachers. I watched this before several times. Repeat, repeat, repeat. James said dragging top layer onto the text area puts it below. I have 2 macros, 1 for a mask layer and 1 for an hsl layer because clicking a mask puts the mask above the layer rather than into the layer.

Shouldn't need a macro for those. Just set them in the Assistant Manager. You can set it to add them as Child Layers, instead of on a new layer.

assitgmgr.png

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Do they stick like items in preferences or is this an each time thing? Any Assistant Manager video tutorials? I've always hate it when Assistant Manager pops up, because have no idea what it does.

29 minutes ago, kat said:

Do they stick like items in preferences or is this an each time thing? Any Assistant Manager video tutorials? I've always hate it when Assistant Manager pops up, because have no idea what it does.

They stick until you change them, or have to reinstall the app. There's a checkbox in the Assistant Manager, up at the top, Alert when assistant takes action. Uncheck if you don't like it popping up.

Unfortunately I don't think it's mentioned in any of Affinity's tutorials. So right now we just have the Help file..

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/AssistantManager.html

Just done a YouTube search and found a tutorial done by Olivia Sarikas, just on the Assistant Manager

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD