You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to open, or save images to desktop due to not having permission

Photo works normally when first launched, however after a few saves, or having worked on a couple of files, I suddenly get a "Permissions Denied" error.

The problem comes whether I save, save as, or export. The result is the same. The location of the save, or export is irrelevant since I have saved to my Dropbox folder, or directly to my desktop, or any other location in my computer.

To circumvent this problem I have to quit Photo and relaunch in order to continue working, however, if i did extensive edits, I will more than likely loose those edits.

Also, this happens if I try to open a file from any location on my computer. I may be working ok with some files and suddenly the next one will not open with the attached error. Even if the location is the same as the previous file that worked successfully.

Please help, as this is at best very irritating and at worst I keep loosing time and breaks my workflow.

I am including a screenshot of the error.

Please advice on a solution.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.33.21 PM.png

Perhaps:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hey gangusCat,

When you get the message upon opening a file, if you restart the app does that same file then open? It doesn't stay permanently corrupt does it?

Do you use TimeMachine? Is it doing regular backups? It could be that TimeMachine is interferring with the save process and corrupting the files.

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings, 

I love the program and am onl a tip of the iceberg user, however I do get this same response after working on a few files.  I am saving to cloud.  I am listed as the admin in the permissions for read and write.   Its been happening for a long time, almost over the length I've had the program.   Any tips?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started seeing the same problem last night. I can edit and save four or five photos with no problem, but then I get the no permission error when saving to the same directories that I had just been saving to. If I quit out of Affinity Photo and edit the same file, I can save with no problem, but I usually need to redo all of my unsaved edits.  I am saving to a directory on my internal hard drive and not doing anything fancy. I am running MacOS 11.6 on a MacBook Pro 13 inch M1 2020. I updated my Affinity Photo to version 1.10.1 from the App Store this morning and am still seeing the problem. This puts a serious speed bump in my work flow. I did not see this problem at all with my six year old MacBook Pro. I have been using the new MacBook for about a month. Could this be a bug related to the new M1 chipset?

The M1 theory was wrong. I reproduced the problem this morning on my wife's MacBook 2019 Intel Core i9, MacOS 11.5.2. It took 15 sequential edits of various stackings to see the error.

I create a new name before saving.

I discovered that if I am opening a raw file into Affinity Photo by clicking on it, I have not seen the problem (I may not have tried enough times in a row). I have only seen the problem when I open raw files from within the Affinity Photo menu. Since I have been working on a series of panoramas, focus stacks and HDR stacks, this provides no workaround.

I have primarily been editing Olympus Raw files (.ORF) but I have also reproduced the problem editing older Nikon Raw files (.NEF). I have seen the problem after as few as 4 sequential edits and as many as 16 sequential edits of stacked images.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.52.11 AM.png

• Staff

I've been trying this all morning and I got to 20 files or so.

How many fonts do you have installed and did you purchase your copy through the Mac App Store? If you have too many fonts (due to sandboxing) this can cause a saving issue but I think it should be persistent and not after x amount of files - it's worth asking though in case it is something like this.

I may or may not have a free set of fonts that was offered by Serif some years ago. I don't really know how to find out. Other than that, I have what came with Affinity Photo (and if they are shared, the fonts in Designer and Publisher).

I purchased my copy of Affinity Photo and Designer through the Mac App Store. Affinity Publisher was purchased directly from the Serif website. Does this really make a difference? I have heard rumors that it does for the applications from some other software providers.

• Staff

The only difference would be from sandboxing - I think apps from the Mac App Store have a limit of x amount of fonts. I want to say 1000 but I'm not 100% - FontBook should say how many you have.

I'd be interested to see if Publisher has the same issue.