You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APub crashing when editing fonts in the text style window only when scrolling towards a specific point

Ok, so this is a weird one:

I tried to edit the font of my "body" paragraph text style, after I installed a bunch of google fonts.

The bug didn't happen before, as far as I know.

The bug happens only, when I scroll towards a specific point in the list (fonts starting with "al"). It doesn't matter if I drag the scroll bar, scroll with the wheel or hover over the lower part of the list (autoscroll). It will crash. It crashes not, when I change fonts in the normal character-window. I downloaded the fonts from here: https://www.typewolf.com/google-fonts

It does happen on a new document.

It happens with OpenCL enabled or disabled.

I will try to find and delete these specific fonts and see, if this helps, but I wanted to report it anyways. Version is 1.9.2.

EDIT: Alright, found the culprit: It was Alegreya, probably because in the folder provided by the site the font was named alegreya[wght].ttf. I downloaded it through google fonts and now it works. Leaving this post up, to help people having this issue.

The solution was checking the installation files, because they had something weird in their name.

Edited by Solanaar

34 minutes ago, Solanaar said:

EDIT: Alright, found the culprit: It was Alegreya, probably because in the folder provided by the site the font was named alegreya[wght].ttf. I downloaded it through google fonts and now it works.

That is a variable font - which does not work in Affinity apps.
The [wght] in the file name is to tell you the variable weight axis is available in the variable font.

Generally you should not install both the static fonts and the variable fonts as there may be name conflicts created between the static names and the pre-defined instances in the variable font.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense! I found out about variable fonts just today.

2 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

Generally you should not install both the static fonts and the variable fonts as there may be name conflicts created between the static names and the pre-defined instances in the variable font.

This is also good to know. I think I already did install some variable + static ones, now I know what to do, when I come across such a conflict! thank you!