You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there any plans to have Affinity Designer as a download?

I have purchased it.

And it's been installed on my MacBook.

But, I'm one of those who likes to have the purchased product, in hand. If you know what I mean?!

So, Serif, please supply a link where the purchasers can go and download it, and save it whereever we want.

Thanking you in advance.

• Staff

We will be doing beta builds going forward and you will be able to download and run them but the Mac App Store version can only be installed from the App Store. This isn't our limitation, it's just how the App Store works.

Rik,

I'm not part of the Serif team that created/programmed AD, so you can take what I'm going to tell you with a grain of salt...

The one thing that was recently found out is that all/most content purchased on the Mac App Store is "sandboxed," meaning that it's self-contained (everything needed to run the app is contained inside the app package). To this end, I have been able to copy older versions of Motion, Sketch and Pixelmator that were previously bought from the Mac App Store to DVD and copy them from the DVD to another Mac that I own. The key to this is that, once copied, the apps were--one at a time--"double-clicked" on and accessed. You HAVE to both be online and have opened and signed into your App Store app on the mac you're installing to; this allows the apps you've copied to re-serialize and authenticate with the Mac App Store so it will allow you use of the apps on the new mac.

This was done last week in anticipation of Affinity Designer going live. I would not recommend to anyone to do this with someone else's apps; only do this with apps that were purchased under YOUR account with the Mac App Store.

For the record, by doing this I was able to successfully move pre-Mavericks versions of Motion, Sketch, iDraw and Pixelmator to a second-hand mac I own that couldn't be upgraded past Lion. The current versions of Motion, Sketch and Pixelmator all require Mavericks, and--as we all know--the Mac App Store (as of this writing) doesn't do older versions.

The added benefit is that all my older versions are now captured "in stone" on DVD. If anyone on the Affinity team has any heartburn with doing this with Designer, PLEASE speak out now. I have posted this information in the interest of trying to help a fellow designer, nothing more. I find that on the off chance that something goes wrong with a new/updated release (as has been my past experience with other apps), to be able to store an archived copy of an older version helps.

Hope this helps.

Quarian: WOW!

I wish I understood everything you said, but, I'm not an expert on Mac, and how the App store works and...

I'm fine with PCs, as I've been a PC user for some decades.

But, Macs are a bit new to me.

However, I would like to thank you very much for the time and trouble you've taken to write your reply.

Who knows? If I read it time and time again, I might even get the hang of what you say!

Cheers.

• Staff

Quarian: No problem our end with that.

Rik: Basically, Mac apps are just single files - look in your Finder, in the Applications folder. You will find an Affinity Designer file. Right click it and "Burn to disk" (or just copy it somewhere safe). That's it!

Possibly redundant though - you can download the app as many times as you like for free from the store, so unless Apple disappear - everything will be fine :)

Thanks,

AndyS