You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have recently acquired Infinity Photo for macs. I am struggling to open j peg photos. I open media browser and there are no thumb nail pictures. When I click on a blank thumbnail I am told that Affinity cannot open the file because permission is denied.Looking at the info of the original photo I have reading and writing permission.

The way you describe this is like you're trying to access images that have been stored on your hard drive by a container type application like iPhoto, Aperture or Photos.

Have you tried what MEB suggests here?

It might be best if you export the photos from either iPhoto, Aperture or Photos, I believe you wouldn't be dealing with the permissions thing. 

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

• 3 months later...

Trying to use the media browser to open images in Photos library on external disk and the Permission denied problem happens all the time. Photos library on the startup disk of another machine works fine. I have not seen any resolution to this incredibly annoying situation.

I have been doing some testing with Apple Photos Libraries located on external drives. From what I can tell, Affinity's Media Browser will always generate a Permissions denied error for these libraries.

This apparently has nothing to do with the permissions of the drive itself (as shown in Finder 'Get Info' windows). I used a test.photoslibrary file package I copied to a Time Machine backup drive (which by default grants R/W privileges only to system & wheel & requires admin user authorization to modify) & to another drive with full user R/W privileges. For both, Affinity's Media Browser showed only grey placeholder icons for the photos in the library & I got a Permissions Denied error if I tried to open any of them.

For both, using the File > Open > Sidebar Media > Photos method MEB suggested works fine, so this seems to be a bug in the Affinity Media Browser code.

Note that both the File > Open & Media Browser methods will only see the Apple Photos Library designated as the "System Photo Library" in that app's General preferences, & that Affinity has to be quit & relaunched for any changes in that setting to be recognized by the Affinity app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7