You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing several images in a perfect circle

Hi all, 

I’m aware of how to duplicate shapes into a perfect circle. But I’m unsure how to do this with Jpgs?

Essentially they’re all the same product and size, just in a different colour, so duplicating isn’t possible here. 

I’m really stuck with how to go about this - any help is very welcome!

D1975B67-7F3B-4142-93BA-0D4B76441E09.jpeg

Edited by Dizz

Hi,

you may use the transform panel.

1. Place all JPG files into one document. There must be perfectly aligned,  bottom edge in the middle of the image
    (you can use "new stack", but remove the stack when done to have all layers without stack)
  2. In transform panel, select the bottom middle handle
  3. Select top layer
  4. Enter a suitable angle in the "R" field, .e.g 15 Use 360 / #of JPG's images
  5. when the top layer is rotated away, select the next visible layer
  6. repeat for all layers, increasing the rotation angle with every image e.g. 30 / 45 ( ...
  7. You may record a macro to speed up the process.

image.png.34291018d0c75810302851722d971d02.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

you may use the transform panel.

1. Place all JPG files into one document. There must be perfectly aligned,  bottom edge in the middle of the image
    (you can use "new stack", but remove the stack when done to have all layers without stack)
  2. In transform panel, select the bottom middle handle
  3. Select top layer
  4. Enter a suitable angle in the "R" field, .e.g 15 Use 360 / #of JPG's images
  5. when the top layer is rotated away, select the next visible layer
  6. repeat for all layers, increasing the rotation angle with every image e.g. 30 / 45 ( ...
  7. You may record a macro to speed up the process.

image.png.34291018d0c75810302851722d971d02.png

Thanks a bunch! I’ll look into that in a moment 

Great result!

I found an even simpler solution!

• Use the polygon tool (vector shape), set sides to 12.
  • Set W+H (in transform panel) to equal values, e.g. 500. Then activate "link" for W+H.
  • Rotate Polygon by -15° to get the top side horizontal
  • Align polygon and JPG (middle). Check snapping settings and snapping manager.
  • Resize polygon until the edge side matches in width with your jpeg (using numeric input in transform panel)
  • (you may find the math to calculate the exact pixel size. But depending on your JPGs, you may want to slightly adjust, so exact does not matter)
  • Then rotate the JPG individually.
  • Use snapping to perfectly align JPGs manually
  • Remove the helper polygon

PS:

You can do this process with one white canvas rectangle.

Copy it (ctrl-J), rotate, align.

Then copy (Ctrl-J) 10 times more. Affinity will align all copies perfectly into the right place.

Then, you can nest the real images into the right canvas. They must be rotated, but then you can just drag them into the canvas and it will snap.

PPS:

The cog tool could be a 3rd alternative.

Edited by NotMyFault
addad canvas

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault

Yo! 
thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain. But I’m finding it super difficult to follow your explanation because I’m basically a novice. I’m on iPad not desktop.

- I’ve got the polygon tool but I’m not sure what you mean by set the sides to 12?

- What do you mean by rotate polygon by 15%? When I make the polygon, the top side is at the top, rotating 15% just puts it at a slight angle?

- I’m all ok with aligning and resizing the polygon to match JPG’s

you may find the math to calculate the exact pixel size. But depending on your JPGs, you may want to slightly adjust, so exact does not matter not sure what you mean here

If there’s someway you could dumb this down somewhat I’d be eternally grateful! 

38 minutes ago, Dizz said:

- I’ve got the polygon tool but I’m not sure what you mean by set the sides to 12?

The default number of sides is 5. In the iPad version of the app you need to draw the polygon first and then set the number of sides to the desired value (12 in your case) instead of specifying the number of sides before you drag out the shape on the canvas.

40 minutes ago, Dizz said:

- What do you mean by rotate polygon by 15%? When I make the polygon, the top side is at the top, rotating 15% just puts it at a slight angle?

When you create a new polygon, a vertex (i.e. a corner) is at the top. If you want a horizontal edge/side at the top, you need to rotate the object by 180° divided by the number of sides: 180/12 = 15.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)