Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.9.4.1076

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes and Improvements
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not Submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Soon

---

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.4.1076 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update from the 1.9.2 version recently released to all customers (although it still installs parallel to the released version, as described above). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

---

This beta has a performance focus. We have addressed a number of issues particularly with the handling of placed images and documents. If you notice performance improvements (or regressions!) over 1.9.2, or if you notice bugs which appear to have been introduced in 1.9.4, please let us know.

General
Performance and memory usage improvements when using placed images and documents
Significant performance improvements in low memory situations

Misc / UI Issues
Fixed (more) issues parsing numeric field in non-English locales
Master page guides were shown on both pages of a spread, when the master is applied to only one page
Table and Text Frame panels can now scroll
Improved handling of replacement of missing fonts via Font Manager
Fixed discrepancies with tinted global colours
Added 'Limit Initial Zoom to 100%' preferences option (defaulted to off)
Fixed text flow linking issues duplicating an  pages in a facing page document
Changed default severity of Missing Glyphs preflight check to 'Error'
Fill Mode not propagated through symbols correctly

Text and Tools
Fixed issue with Paragraph Minimum letter spacing
Implemented OpenType character variant samples and parameter names
Improvements to OpenType GPOS Cursive positioning
Tab leader lines can draw incorrectly with path text
Don't break lines after dashes or hyphens if followed by a digit or close-quote
Typing at the start of a blank line could take the following paragraph's formatting
Paragraph formatting lost when deleting at end of story
Fixed possible hang resizing table columns
Some font weights remain in All Caps after toggling them off using the Character Panel
Find / Replace - Replace expressions with tokens not restored correctly
Fixed shortcut limitation in Text Tools for Page Up / Page Down
Application could hang with the Text Style panel open for non-English locales
Filter degenerate cases (e.g. single stray points) when font outlines are converted to curves

Import / Resources
Fixed width handling for certain characters from standard fonts (e.g. Helvetica) on PDF import
Updating a PDF via Resource Manager was resetting Interpret / Passthrough
Artboards could be resized when replacing placed documents
Fixed a bug / possible crash in the PSD importer
EPS Import was ignoring Fill Mode for pattern fills
On Windows we may need to normalize a stored macOS resource path before use

Export / Print
Placed PDFs could disappear on PDF Export to Greyscale if 'Rasterise All' was selected
Fixed Export document rounding issues when exporting spreads with bleed
Fixes for output of very thin lines for plotters and cutters

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

• 2 weeks later...

That's much faster...nice!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

I've been very wary of installing any new updates, however, this one does seem quite a bit faster.  I cannot comment on stability, but it looks like it's a step in the right direction.  Usability on my system has returned or is better than before as far as I can tell. 

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

• Staff
38 minutes ago, ashf said:

Why the  post date is May 7...?

A previous beta build made in early May (1.9.4.1068) was close to release but a regression was found just before release that needed fixing. The post remained hidden until a releasable beta was built (1.9.4.1076) so we just reused these release notes and updated the list of fixes and download links

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Yesterday I did a job to convert objects from a C5 to an A5 document. It took me 6 hours and 30 minutes to convert the first 100 pages of the initial document with the public version 1.9.2.1035 (3 min 54 s per page). It then took me 3 hours and 30 minutes with Beta version 1.9.4.1076 to convert the next 300 pages (0 min 42 s per page).

Note a crash when moving an image, and from time to time some slowdowns either because the software started to slow down, or because some objects required special treatment. Otherwise the average time was about 15 to 20 s per page.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

On 5/7/2021 at 6:09 AM, AdamW said:

Application could hang with the Text Panel open for non-English locales

What is meant by "Text Panel" for this one? I'm not aware of any panels with that specific name.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Bonjour à toutes et à tous,
Voici un rapide premier retour entre la 1.9.4.1076 et la 1.9.2.1035.
Pour un poids > 730 Mo, environ 140 images. Core i7 3630QM, 16 Go RAM et SSD.
L'ouverture est plus rapide sur la Bêta, temps de chargement des images bien plus long sur la version 1.9.2.
Dans le gestionnaire de ressources, le tri sur le numéro de page, la taille des images... reste fluide sur la bêta mais freeze sur la 1.9.2.
Le zoom dans les pages et scroll plus dynamique.
A suivre...

Hello to all of you,
Here's a quick first look at 1.9.4.1076 and 1.9.2.1035.
For a weight > 730 Mb, about 140 images. Core i7 3630QM, 16 GB RAM and SSD.
Opening is faster on the Beta, image loading time much longer on the 1.9.2 version.
In the resource manager, sorting on page number, image size... remains smooth on the beta but freezes on 1.9.2.
Zoom in pages and scroll more dynamic.
To be continued...

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

39 minutes ago, ashf said:

Might be Text Styles panel?

It might be, but I'd rather know for sure. Thanks, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
10 hours ago, ashf said:

Might be Text Styles panel?

That's the one thanks ashf

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.