You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes, Symbols, Styles etc. should be imbedded in document.

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed... but I couldn't find it.

I would really like to things like brushes, styles, symbols, assets etc. associated with the document they're used in as well as the software.

For example I have Affinity on both my work computer and my home computer.... if I create a "style" at work then open that document at home the style does not appear in style palette.... having this feature feature makes sharing and collaboration much easier as well as better work flow between computers.

Don't like to compare, but Illustrator works like this with brushes and graphic styles etc being connected with document.

Another feature I hope to see :-)

I would hope that anything like this would be optional, as I assume it would increase file sizes considerably. Personally I've never had a problem with transferring between work and home computers; it's quite easy to install the same content on both. (Just copy over the user files in appdata.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

19 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I would hope that anything like this would be optional, as I assume it would increase file sizes considerably. Personally I've never had a problem with transferring between work and home computers; it's quite easy to install the same content on both. (Just copy over the user files in appdata.)

I’m not imagining the entire brush, style, asset and symbol libraries being embedded in document… just the ones that are used within document. 
This should not increase file size too much, it works for Ai and file size is never an issue so don’t see any problems with it working in AD

But I hear you this could be an optional feature, much like embedding images is. 

True… I could copy appdata file but doing this every day back and forth is a drag and not what I call “workflow”. 

2 hours ago, ra.skill said:

If I create a "style" at work then open that document at home the style does not appear in style palette....

Can't you just right-click the object with the style and select "Create Style"?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

45 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Yes, that should work.

2 hours ago, ra.skill said:

would really like to things like brushes, styles, symbols, assets etc. associated with the document they're used in as well as the software.

Aren't Symbols were local to the document in all cases?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Aren't Symbols were local to the document in all cases?

Yes they are. I would like to see the contrary, symbols globally available. Right now copying from one document to another.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Yes you could do this…. But having to recreate my library every time I want to use it kind of defeats the point of a library. 

8 minutes ago, ra.skill said:

Yes you could do this…. But having to recreate my library every time I want to use it kind of defeats the point of a library. 

Serif recently added the "Save as package" function to allow better collaboration between different users/computers.

Currently it includes Fonts and Images, maybe that could be expanded in the future to include other things

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 hours ago, carl123 said:

Serif recently added the "Save as package" function to allow better collaboration between different users/computers.

Currently it includes Fonts and Images, maybe that could be expanded in the future to include other things

You're correct "save as package" is the best function for collaboration.

I'm more wanting to improve the workflow between my home and work in a seamless experience....  I use the cloud to store my files so it's truly a seamless from opening a file at home, working on it, saving it to cloud and then opening at work and continuing with nothing missing (bar fonts) all created brushes are with file, all styles are there, all symbols are in symbol palette.... at least this is how it was when I used Ai for past 20years. 

Yes I can "save as package", yes I can copy "app.data" package, yes I can right click on each "style" and recreate the library when I get home but none of these things are what I'd call seamless... they're great for one off situations or collaboration. Saving as package every day before I go home results in multiple files and confusion , plus if I forget to do this then I'm stuck.

Anyway, looks like I'm the only one missing this Ai feature?? 

• 1 month later...

win10  C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\*\1.0

assets.propcol 资产
fills.propco 色板(样本条)
objectstyles.propcol 样式
raster_brushes.propcol 笔刷
vector_brushes.propcol 矢量笔刷
macros.propcol 库
doc_spread_presets.propcol 文档预设

filler_text.propco 填充文字
autocorrect.propcol 自动修正
title_exceptions.propcol 标题
table_formats.propcol 表格格式

Use MEGA/Google Drive to sync brushes, styles, assets, and other data.

3 hours ago, Cynops said:

Use MEGA/Google Drive to sync brushes, styles, assets, and other data.

Bad idea to try automating that if the app itself isn't set up to allow for it.  High potential for corrupted files.

You want to make sure the app is not running on either side when the sync takes place and there is always some risk of seeing changes on both sides which a generic solution like that won't know how to merge, meaning it would be forced to pick a victim and something could disappear.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:20 AM, ra.skill said:

just the ones that are used within document. 

The problem is that none of those things are actually used in a document, except for symbols which as discussed earlier already exist in the document.  When you apply a style, it adjusts the attributes of the object directly - it gets "copied" to the object - there is no connection back to the style itself.  You use it then its role is over.  Similarly, drag an asset into the document and it gets copied into the document.  No connection back to the original.  Same again with a brush.

Note however that you can already embed a category of assets by clicking the hamburger menu at the top of the Assets panel and choosing "Embed in current document".