You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.9.4.242)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, improvements and fixes.

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download ZIP: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the third build of Affinity Photo 1.9.4 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.9.3 version recently released to all customers (although it still installs parallel to the released version, as described above). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

The 1.9.4 beta will have a performance focus as we circle back to clean up some inefficiencies which have crept in over time. If you notice performance improvements (or regressions!) over 1.9.3, or if you notice rendering bugs which appear to have been introduced in 1.9.4, please let us know.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes Since Previous Beta

- Added the ability to open FITS files directly, with control over demosaicing.

- Performance and memory usage improvements when using placed images.
- Performance and memory usage improvements when using embedded documents.
- PDF import and export improvements.
- Significant performance improvements in low memory situations.

- Fixed small visual issues when switching back to templates from presets in the new document panel.
- Fixed gradient map adjustment rendering issues.
- Fixed expression input issues with decimal separators other than ".".
- Fixed issue whereby ISO speed was incorrectly reported for some images.

- Assorted other small fixes.
- Localisation improvements.
- Help improvements.

Changes Since 1.9.3

- Added support for Xtrans sensor images in astro stacking.
- Added GPU acceleration for blending ranges (in Advanced Blending).
- Further, significant, performance improvements for documents with many layers.
- Significant performance improvements when converting documents between ICC profiles / pixel formats.

- Fixed performance issues with previous build with certain GPUs.
- Fixed spare channel / mask editing.

- Assorted metadata panel tweaks.
- Further panorama stitching performance tweaks.

- Added a new "median" mode to the frequency separation filter.
- The gradient map adjustment now has a GPU implementation.

- Restored the GPU rendering improvements which were dropped towards the end of the 1.9.2 beta. The benchmark version is once again set to 1920.
- Improve performance when manipulating the selected layer immediately after loading a document.
- Significant performance improvements in low-memory situations, reducing use of the swap file.
- Panorama stitching performance improvements.
- Significant performance improvements for documents which contain flattened, opaque layers (usually the result of merge visible).
- Render EXIF exposure time as decimal if above 1.

- Fixed F-number always showing as "f/0" for Leica M-series cameras (and others).
- Fixed issue whereby LUTs would incorrectly report "Identity" as the description.
- Fixed potential crash when quitting with layers still on the clipboard.
- Fixed performance issues with CMYK documents when GPU acceleration is enabled.

- Assorted small fixes.

6 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

Purpose: Features, improvements and fixes.

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download ZIP: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the third build of Affinity Photo 1.9.4 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.9.3 version recently released to all customers (although it still installs parallel to the released version, as described above). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

The 1.9.4 beta will have a performance focus as we circle back to clean up some inefficiencies which have crept in over time. If you notice performance improvements (or regressions!) over 1.9.3, or if you notice rendering bugs which appear to have been introduced in 1.9.4, please let us know.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes Since Previous Beta

- Added the ability to open FITS files directly, with control over demosaicing.

- Performance and memory usage improvements when using placed images.
- Performance and memory usage improvements when using embedded documents.
- PDF import and export improvements.
- Significant performance improvements in low memory situations.

- Fixed small visual issues when switching back to templates from presets in the new document panel.
- Fixed gradient map adjustment rendering issues.
- Fixed expression input issues with decimal separators other than ".".
- Fixed issue whereby ISO speed was incorrectly reported for some images.

- Assorted other small fixes.
- Help improvements.

Changes Since 1.9.3

- Added support for Xtrans sensor images in astro stacking.
- Added GPU acceleration for blending ranges (in Advanced Blending).
- Further, significant, performance improvements for documents with many layers.
- Significant performance improvements when converting documents between ICC profiles / pixel formats.

- Fixed performance issues with previous build with certain GPUs.
- Fixed spare channel / mask editing.

- Assorted metadata panel tweaks.
- Further panorama stitching performance tweaks.

- Added a new "median" mode to the frequency separation filter.
- The gradient map adjustment now has a GPU implementation.

- Restored the GPU rendering improvements which were dropped towards the end of the 1.9.2 beta. The benchmark version is once again set to 1920.
- Improve performance when manipulating the selected layer immediately after loading a document.
- Significant performance improvements in low-memory situations, reducing use of the swap file.
- Panorama stitching performance improvements.
- Significant performance improvements for documents which contain flattened, opaque layers (usually the result of merge visible).
- Render EXIF exposure time as decimal if above 1.

- Fixed F-number always showing as "f/0" for Leica M-series cameras (and others).
- Fixed issue whereby LUTs would incorrectly report "Identity" as the description.
- Fixed potential crash when quitting with layers still on the clipboard.
- Fixed performance issues with CMYK documents when GPU acceleration is enabled.

- Assorted small fixes.

Procedural texture 

When can we expect this for those of us where this function is not working with extra controls

I am using Photo MAC version 1.9.4.242 on OS 10.12.6 and still no fix for Procedural Texture extra controls (sliders) which disappeared with 1.9.0 upgrade. I have never seen a company take so long to fix a regression of a valuable tools such as this.

I would pay more for the application if it meant you could hire more developers and fix bugs faster, so I could ultimately completely switch from LR and PS completely.

screenshot_03.png

To be honest i`m using Live Procedures all the time and do not see such problem // new+old procedures has inputs, works as usual (in beta too)
Something shady is going on here...

Yes well there a number of people who have this problem.

If you search Procedural texture in the activity forum you will see that a bug exists.

Your response was of no assistance to those that have the problem, but thanks for responding

I can confirm this, neither in the beta nor in the release version are input fields or sliders visible, this functionality can't be used.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-07 um 17.15.59.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, spiderpod7d said:

Photo MAC version 1.9.4.242 on OS 10.12.6 and still no fix for Procedural Texture extra controls (sliders) which disappeared with 1.9.0 upgrade.

For the record, the sliders are visible & functional on El Capitan, and always were, including this beta.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

9 minutes ago, loukash said:

sliders are visible & functional on El Capitan, and always were, including this beta

Ha!
Hold on, here's the clue:

It's ye olde DEFAULT ENGLISH (UK) LANGUAGE BUG!

6 hours ago, j3rry said:

neither in the beta nor in the release version are input fields or sliders visible, this functionality can't be used.

The (temporary) fix:

Change the app language from English (or Default) to English US (or any other language you can read).
English US is what I'm using anyway – and thus suffering from all those related bugs elsewhere – hence I've never encountered this issue until now.

P.S. Although seeing that others are using e.g. German and having this bug anyway, it's likely not the only "source". Worth to try though.

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Are you suggesting I downgrade my OS to 10.11 to get an app to work, especially when the app claims to work on all OS's up to the latest Big SUR on Apple M1 Chips.

Most companies suggest running the latest OS not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot about AP I like but I have been waiting for over 1 months to try Dave Stacker's Luminuosity macros. 

As I suggested I would have paid more to get a fully functional affinity Photo. Based on the number of issues on the forum the 1.9 version was a rushed release.

Oh well will stick with adobe for now since the CS6 version works fin on my OS and it is now 5 versions old.

Just now, spiderpod7d said:

Are you suggesting I downgrade my OS to 10.11 to get an app to work

No. Please read my posts again and don't put your words into my virtual mouth. thanks :)

3 minutes ago, spiderpod7d said:

sorry for any offence

No problem.
My MacBook Pro can boot almost anything from Mountain Lion up to Catalina (skipping Mavericks & Yosemite) but El Capitan is my "mission critical" partition for compatibility reasons with various software (Adobe, haha), and particularly for my "obsolete", "unsupported" but still fully plug-and-play-functional semi-pro Firewire audio hardware. One of the latter (M-Audio Firewire 410, bought in 2003!) already runs only with some user-hacked drivers that wouldn't work smoothly on Sierra anymore.
Hence the Capt'n is it, most of the time. :)

• Staff
15 minutes ago, spiderpod7d said:

Not sure why support couldn't have suggested this weeks ago

Because we did not know the recipe, despite it being reported many times we had not been quite as good detectives as @loukash it seems

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Loukash

It's funny I have a a 17" Macbook Pro as well and it has El Capitan on it but I never thought to try AP on it because it has limited ram.

My desk top is a MAC Pro with 3.33 Mhz 6 core with 32 GB of RAM so I thought nything on this should outperform my Macbook Pro.

Go figure this was not so

Thanks again for the Temp fix.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

It must be difficult to have all of the answers. I performed technical support for multiple medical Imaging companies and we always said "it's hard to deal with idiots (like customers, me included) because they are so creative".

It had to be something weird because some people had the problem and some didn't.

I am waiting to upgrade to a Mac Pro M1 or M2 next year so by then things should be much improved

Thanks,

6 hours ago, loukash said:

Ha!
Hold on, here's the clue:

It's ye olde DEFAULT ENGLISH (UK) LANGUAGE BUG!

The (temporary) fix:

Change the app language from English (or Default) to English US (or any other language you can read).
English US is what I'm using anyway – and thus suffering from all those related bugs elsewhere – hence I've never encountered this issue until now.

P.S. Although seeing that others are using e.g. German and having this bug anyway, it's likely not the only "source". Worth to try though.

Your tip was helpful, I would never have thought that the language setting can cause such an error, especially since it only affects numeric input or controllers. A task for Serif to control more ...

Thank You!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

12 hours ago, j3rry said:

I would never have thought that the language setting can cause such an error

Neither would I, until this:

At least, @MattP was totally swift in fixing it. :)

On 5/7/2021 at 5:22 PM, j3rry said:

I can confirm this, neither in the beta nor in the release version are input fields or sliders visible, this functionality can't be used.

I use German and the release Version 1.9.3 and Mac OS Mojave. I do not have this error. It works fine. I guess it's because of the Mac OS you're using. Nevertheless, it's a bug and should be fixed anyway.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.15.05.png

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

2 hours ago, Puck said:

I use German and the release Version 1.9.3 and Mac OS Mojave. I do not have this error. It works fine. I guess it's because of the Mac OS you're using. Nevertheless, it's a bug and should be fixed anyway.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.15.05.png

We will see …

Its working only if the language is set to english(GB or US) not set to default or german on my Mac (Big Sur). So its a bug from serif.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.