You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lately I haven't been able to reopen Affinity Designer files. These are files I created and saved with the program.

I bought AD about a year ago when I had an older iMac. I've since changed to a silicon Mac Mini. I have the latest version of AD.

When either clicking on a .afdesign file or trying to open it from within the program, I get this:

924419220_ScreenShot2021-05-05at4_56_36PM.png.70e3885f4a1ea83eeda7be209bc51194.png

Of course I checked permissions of the files, and they're all set for read/write. I tried tossing and redownloading AD and it made no difference.

I've seen this general problem posted on this forum but never with a solution that helps me.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

Thanks.

Mark

I guess you are using the Big Sur OS 11.x.x and that has changed the look of the system preferences as well as adding a folders item in the Privacy section of the the Security and privacy preferences.

I think you have to set things up there.

1999424063_ScreenShot2021-05-06at7_57_57AM.png.95b065eed9ff725f67082a6c51de2410.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm on the newest version of Big Sur, 11.3.1. 

I wish it were that simple. My Security & Privacy preferences show 2 appropriate folders: "Full Disk Access" and "Files and Folders."

Both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo appear in Full Disk Access. Both are checked.

Both also appear in Files and Folders, but they're grayed out. Beneath each is the notation "Full Disk Access," which leads me to believe that this is just a reference to the other folder.

Although I find it odd that AD can't open its own files, in fact it can't seem to open anything. I've tried .eps, .ai, .jpg, .webp, .png, and .tif and get the same "Permission Was Denied" error. For .svg and .psd files I get a "File Not Found" error, which is puzzling because I'm finding the files by clicking on them and because they open in other programs. I have opened .afdesign files in Affinity Photo. It's only Affinity Designer that balks.

It's as if AD were somehow corrupted. But after first seeing the problem, I downloaded and installed a fresh copy. No change.

Any other suggestions?

17 minutes ago, ClassicalMark said:

Both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo appear in Full Disk Access. Both are checked.

On my Mac OS 10.14.6 I don't see any applications (that I use regularly and successfully) in that Full Disk Access list, only smdb. Whatever the hell that is, I really hate initialisms.

Here is the grasping at straws suggestion.

Perhaps you have updated the Designer app and that new version is not listed. I have no idea if this is a thing that could happen, and I actually doubt it would happen. So remove and add it again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I tried it. I unchecked. Then I deleted it completely. Then I added it back (it arrived checked).

After each step I tried opening a .afdesign file. And I always got the "Permission Was Denied" error.

It's as if the program is broken.

As mentioned, I've seen errors similar to this reported on this forum. Just never a solution. Do the developers read these posts?

7 hours ago, stokerg said:

If the Mac App Store, please see this FAQ

Just curious but does that apply to all versions of the macOS, including Big Sur?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Wow. Thanks. Leigh. In fact I did get my AD from the Apple App Store and I use Suitcase Fusion (and an old version at that). I had no inkling it might be causing the problem.

This is not a quick fix. But I'll spend some time on it and report back. My guess is, this will take care of the problem. At this point I'd prefer to ditch Suitcase Fusion completely, but it has saved fonts here and there on the computer and I can't predict the effect of just deleting the app. But I can certainly deactivate a lot of fonts.

Is there a way to sidestep the problem by downloading a new AD from the Serif website, sort of a replacement app? Or would I have to buy it again?

Anyway, thanks. I'll report back once I've accomplished this.

Mark

• Staff
3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Just curious but does that apply to all versions of the macOS, including Big Sur?

Yup, it's a 'sandboxing' restriction by Apple and how many files can be loaded at once.  I forget the exact limit (and can find out) but we normally see this when there are a large number of fonts install and active, no matter the version of MacOS.