You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

May the 4th be with you

plabill

On 5/6/2021 at 12:13 PM, plabill said:

@sacboi thank you.  Yes,  some acrylic,  oil painting experience. 

Could you possibly say something about how you produced the image please?

The reason that I ask is that I would like to try to produce art that good, but I am a beginner and I have ideas but I do not know how to apply my ideas to get completed artwork of such quality.

Could you possibly mention some of the following please?

Did you use a tablet freehand, or a mouse unit freehand, or a trackpad freehand, or the pen tool and using precision placement of points, or what please?

Did you do this in the vector persona or the bitmap persona, or in a combination of both?

The purple edge around the top. How, what brushes did you use please?

The two-tone edge around the robot's head, and that two-tone onto the purple. How did you get that effect please?

The tones in the upper surface of the robot's head. How did you get that effect please?

Did you do it all in one, as if painting with wet paint onto a canvas, or did you have some way of doing the robot separately and then pasting it onto the background?

Is it all done using various layers in Affinity Designer or all in one as a wet paint on canvas painting would be done please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

@sacboi wow thank you but I'm not that good yet lol. 

I use a wacom tablet.  Still working on my eye/hand coordination but slowly improving.  I used a reference image,  drew the outlines,  then filed it in with colors.  My drawing is one layer,  the colouring is another layer and the background is another layer. That's the beauty of digital painting.  

The mixing of the colour is simply how much pressure I put on the tablet while drawing/ painting.  There are paint mixer brush tools in affinity. Can't think of the name off the top my head.  I'm new at this too. It'll help with blending your colours. 

Brush wise I used a few under the acrylic brush tab.  Can't remember now because I was trying them out. 

Hope this helps.  There are a few good videos online.  Go on you tube and search painting with affinity photo. 

Edited by plabill

38 minutes ago, plabill said:

Hope this helps.  There are a few good videos online.  Go on you tube and search painting with affinity photo. 

Yes, thank you.

It was only when I read that final line that I realized that you are using Affinity Photo.

Though the thread is clearly tagged as affinity photo.

I had thought, clearly wrongly, that you had used Affinity Designer.

As it happens I got Affinity Photo when I got Affinity Designer, both at half-price some time ago but I have only opened Affinity Photo once or twice and just to have a quick look, so I am not used to it at all.

So, a more general question for everybody please, could this have been done in Affinity Designer?

If not, what is in Affinity Photo that is not in Affinity Designer please? Both as regards this project and more generally

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

50 minutes ago, plabill said:

I use a wacom tablet.

I am thinking of buying a wacom tablet.

May I ask what size and model of wacom tablet you have used please as I am wondering which to buy as a balance of cost and performance.

William