You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Distort a rectangular image to fit a curve/donut?

Hi Affinity Community,

I am looking to create a circular visual with text and a profile (which shows elevation and distance) that curves around the edge. I have been looking at this thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/131951-text-alignment-in-shapes/&tab=comments#comment-726530

And have found useful info for setting out and aligning text.  

I am also looking to warp this rectangular image onto the outside of the circle. I'd want to adjust the scale of it, so would transforming into a donut would be the best way to manipulate it? These would eventually go around the whole perimeter, I could either stick them together and warp one image, or ideally go around the segments adding another elevation profile. 

One elevation profile is attached (I have 12 of these) and an example of the final image I am aiming for.

I'm using Affinity Photo.

Thanks.

elevation4.png

434374174_Screenshot2021-01-25at16_43_59.png.4c5d95a42b526f81e13824dac257f638.png

Edited by Gez

Hi Pixelpest

I've tried rectangular to Polar, and didn't get a something that can use as a segment, or change the height. If it was Rectangular to Donut, it would be closer.

Thinking about it, I have one elevation profile for each day (I'm visualising a bike trip) so just a segment in the circle would do. In the picture above, the indigo 'Flower' segment, for example

Thanks for replying

Edited by Gez

Make a 6000 pixel by 6000 pixel document and place the distance elevation graph at the bottom then run the Rectangle to Polar filter. Obviously you'll have to trim the left and right to get rid of the labels if you don't want them there.

Trick is to start with a square and then stuff at the bottom will wind up towards the circumference of the 'circle.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.