You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting into PDF print quality takes forever, the result can not be opened

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble exporting some large (3,2x2,4 m) size images from Designer into PDF print quality (300 dpi CMYK). It takes forever to export (about 7-8 minutes) and the end result can not be opened, Preview shows an empty file, Adobe Acrobat gives an "Insuficient data for image" error.

If I export to a lower quality, then everything is working fine.

I also tried to use Photo, this seems to work a little bit faster, but it still takes ages.

Other files, in simmilar sizes exported relatively quickly, I only have a problem with one file only.

I have Affinity Designer 1.9.3, MacOS BigSur 11.3.1 and I am using a MacBook Pro 2020 with 1,4 Ghz Core i5 Intel and 8GB ram.

I have attached the problematic file.

Please help me out, I need to send this ASAP for printing.

Thanks

issues.afdesign

Welcome to the Affinity forums @András Hideg!

Rasterise and Trim the layers with the images and export then. For me it took about 3 minutes. BTW how did you add the images to the document?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 minutes ago, András Hideg said:

I added the images with with File -> Place.

Strange. I expected them to see in View >> Resource Manager. Did you rasterise them during your work?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I don't know what I did, I first made some smaller posters a few months ago and now they asked me to create some billboard size posters.

I tried with Rasterize and Trim, and it still exporting.

I tried to remove all the images and then add them back one by one. When I get to the table in top right, then the issues start with the exported PDF.

Edited by András Hideg

• Staff

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

When using PDF(For Print) preset, it takes 1min40s to export the PDF. The result is not corrupt/empty. I can't see much time difference if I remove the table though. 

What PDF settings do you use? 

Just the default 300 dpi.

I am having now trouble with another size variation of this file, I can't export it to 72 dpi...

Any other format exports super fast, it's just PDF I am having trouble with.

I tried reinstalling Affinity Designer, but it's the same.

• Staff

Again, we would need the exact PDF settings you use. There is no "default" 300 DPI preset. Can you attach a screenshot of your "More" dialog? Reinstalling the app won't make it run any faster/better. 

• Staff
29 minutes ago, András Hideg said:

am having now trouble with another size variation of this file, I can't export it to 72 dpi...

PDF (digital - small size) takes a few seconds to export. What do you exactly mean by "can't export"? Do you get an error message? What's going on? 

Worked for me using PDF/X-4 - but as it is six by three metres, takes a while for redraw in Acrobat / apple preview

From my past experience doing billboards, (it's been a while) if I remember right, we used to work at 50% of the finished size

1808188926_problem2.pdf

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

Or you can choose a preset that doesn't force a new colour profile and ICC. PDF Digital will convert everything to RGB/sRGB while PDF for print will keep the current document working space/icc. Digital will take a very long time with your file, and it is expected.