You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Inkscape has an "insert new node on segment" action button that inserts a new node in the middle of the selected segment(s). This tool is very powerful as it allows to draw a simple lines first and then add nodes (exponentially!) in between so as to work on finer details.

1553275719_Untitled_May520219_32PM.gif.a68bfc29bd8d68fb96085539df2b6189.gif

Is there a similar action in Affinity Designer? If so I cannot seem to find it.

Oddly enough, the Pen tool can snap to the middle of a segment to start a new curve or to continue the existing one, but not the Node tool which you need to add nodes to existing paths. So you'd need to resort to workarounds like creating a temporary curve as a "guide" and then snap to that, or something similar.
I vaguely recall this has been requested before though.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

20 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Maybe like so:

pointyStroke.gif.fddac89e3c24e6c09967f55d7716cf54.gif

Not bad but that only resolves the problem of a straight line (which I used for my example), it wouldn't help for this case scenario:

1751716143_Untitled_May6202110_13PM.gif.33b27592adbb437ef8d0c37062ba18e6.gif

See how here you can create a rough shape and then add nodes all over the shape and then start working in the details. So productive!

You don't have to sell it to me; I'm an Inkscaper since 2004 and a moderator in Chat+forum over there. You know there's a better tool for more evenly distributed nodes on an existing path where your method quite easily become useless (left example):

AddNodes.png.c09fc0cea33198fcb42f1950a5929b27.png

And you can try this in Inkscape for fun:

NodeAlignment.gif.409b8588e7ab21d807a138d1af9ae7a1.gif😄

2 hours ago, PixelPest said:

And you can try this

What's that?!
Another easter egg?
I've been now browsing affinity.help/designer all over but couldn't find any reference.

The weird thing is that it even works with all snapping disabled.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2